MarkdownKit Version 2

I’ve just pushed to GitHub version 2 of MarkdownKit.

MarkdownKit is a free, open source, Markdown parser. It has no dependencies on any plugins and works in console, desktop, iOS and web projects.

Here are a few of its features:

• Free.
  • In active development.
  • 100% Xojo code.
  • No dependencies on third party plugins.
  • 100% compliant with the CommonMark spec (v0.29) with an including suite of ~ 650 tests.
  • Full source code location tracking by the parser to enable its use in a Markdown code editor, for example.
  • Supports extended Unicode characters such as emoji.
  • Works in console, desktop, iOS and web projects.
  • Fully API 2.0 compliant.
  • Converts a String to HTML with a single line of code:
Var html As String = MarkdownKit.ToHTML("This is **bold** text")
  • Is capable of creating an accessible abstract syntax tree and defines a renderer interface (MKRenderer) allowing you to implement your own Markdown renderers.

Please read the README in the GitHub repo regarding setting the module up. Most importantly, you will also need to download my free open source StringKit module.

Version 2 is a complete rewrite to support a project I’m currently working on (a Markdown / code editor for those curious).

Please let me know what you think of it.

Download here.

8 Likes

The GitHub repo says there is no license. I suggest you add one if you want people to use it in their projects.

Ah good point.

What’s the most liberal license that allows people to include it for commercial use?

All I’d like is a mention in the about box.

Typically the MIT license would be very permissive. On git the convention is to add a LICENSE file which contains the text of the license and then github will automatically index it and provide that info when viewing the project/repo.

Just to back up Jason’s suggestion – I use this site to help me decide:

4 Likes

Done. MIT license.

Nice link @Tim_Parnell, thanks.

4 Likes

Will definitely try this out. Thank you, Garry!

Ken Whitaker

1 Like