Made me smile

May I suggest adding a Build Stage Script with the following — it will save your work on each Run or Build:
DoCommand("SaveFile")
I add it to all my projects

2 Likes

Yikes…
Personally speaking I like to make a change and run it in debug before deciding whether to Save permanently.

3 Likes

I use this build script also and rely on repo for rolling back if I hit something I don’t like that I can’t just CMD+Z out of. Has saved me innumerable times in the past.

2 Likes

I’m so used to hitting cmd-S on every pause that I wouldn’t need this, but I can see how it would help.

And anyone creating a complex app without the benefit of a version control system, like git, is punishing themselves.

6 Likes

Agreed. Even with the build script I sometimes catch myself hitting CMD+S, then CMD+R (which saves again). lol

Just to be clear folks - I wasn’t trying to execute the code, I was adding properties to the application.

I like the script idea - thank you, I will implement that.

Right, but if you don’t practice periodic saving as you work, you likely do hit Run every once in a while to check for issues in the code you’ve written. In those cases, if Xojo doesn’t have your back with allowing to save at crash, you’re not set back quite so far.

1 Like

Completely agree. I normally save prior to running.

1 Like

An account with GitHub is free even for private repositories. Dead simple to use with GitHub Desktop.

1 Like

But if you’re using certain editions of Xojo it only saves in a binary file format, so you’d need to do some manual work to create different branches to save to before any big change (which then still isn’t real version control)

And you don’t even need an online account. For a single developer, using git locally still has huge benefits.

2 Likes

I literally wore out my s key on my last MacBook Pro. Apparently I’m more gentle on the command key vs the s :slight_smile:

Also to @Kem_Tekinay last point about Git here is a good thread we had running on the topic. GIT for One?

True! But you need a pro license for that.

No, that is not longer true.

You need a Xojo Pro license to have the ability to save as text. GIT cannot work with binary files (if I am not mistaken)

You can put Binary Data into a Git Repo, but it makes no sense i’d say.

Sorry, yes you are correct. You need a Xojo Pro License to be able to save Xojo Projects as Text. (A bad restriction in my opinion…). I thought you meant you need a Git Pro Lic. to be able to use Private Git Repos. :slight_smile:

You need a Xojo Pro License to be able to save Xojo Projects as Text.

According to this: https://www.xojo.com/assets/img/storecomparison.png Desktop license is enough, only Lite one has binary format without the possibility to easy cooperate with a version control system.

If this is not a current situation (on the picture), it will be a really bad restriction. I don’t personally see many advantages in Pro license - as I am not currently interested in web and ios, not enough to spend the extra $400…

1 Like

Desktop licence will do.

4 Likes

Nice! Than you. :smile: