MacBook 12" 2017 - Fast enough for Xojo?

When I buy the new MacBook 12" 2017 with upgrade to 16 GB RAM: Is this fast enough for Xojo 2017.1 : Mac?

Yes

I’m looking at one of these also to supplement my Mac Mini. If the Mini is fast enough, which it is, then I don’t think it will be a problem. Especially since the SSD is supposedly way faster now. I’m replacing a 2011 11" MacBook Air with a dying battery and am trying to figure out whether to buy a processor upgrade. The processors are quite different and I haven’t seen any benchmarks yet.

For me personally I find storage and memory to be most important. Three years from now an extra .2-.4 ghz won’t make a big difference either way. You will however feeling being low on RAM or not enough space for your stuff.

Good point. My 11" Air has 4GB RAM and a 128GB SSD so anything will be an improvement. :wink:

It wont be a rocket - but should work reasonably
Personally I’d go with at least the 13" Macbook Pro but …

Here the difference is about $200 between a macbook 12 with 16Gb and a Macbook Pro with 16Gb and 512 storage

Heres what I get when I click buy for each

1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core m3 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.0GHz$1969
16GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory
256GB SSD storage
Intel HD Graphics 615
Backlit Keyboard - US English

BUT I would not go with this machine - I’d say you might find it too slow very quickly

As soon as you jump to the faster i3 machine

MacBook - Space Grey $2239
1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
16GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory
512GB SSD storage
Intel HD Graphics 615

13?inch MacBook Pro - Space Grey $2469
2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
512GB SSD storage
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
Two Thunderbolt 3 ports

for the price moving up to the MacBook Pro 13" is, IMHO, VERY worthwhile

Personally I haven’t yet settled on what I will get for a new machine
The iMac Pro looks nice but probably will be about 6K here for the base model

Wow, those Mac prices. I could get a PC with equal (or more!) power than many of the ones listed here for roughly half the price.

Sorry, never mind me. :slight_smile:

You could buy a “cheaper” machine - yes

I’ve done that
My current day to day machine is > 5 years old (EDIT : 5 not 6)
During those past years years I have bought, and replace PC with equal (or more!) power…for roughly half the price. 3 times since Windows run like crap on them.
So they’ve ended up costing me more in total over the past 6 years despite being PC with equal (or more!) power …for roughly half the price.

I know folks whose current day to day Mac is 8+ years old
Ask Paul or Joe

Compile time will be ok with the MacBook 12"?

I don’t want the pro because of the loud fans. MB 12" don’t have anything which could be make noise. :slight_smile:

“loud” ???
Even when this machines is running fans full tilt (which rarely happens) theyre darned quiet
if you want NO fan you wont get the best performance and that, to me, means you will get one that wont last as long

I have a 2015 MacBook. It is quite alright to travel with, but it is definitely not very fast.

I have an Ubuntu machine;

• with a Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 drive
  • 16gb Ram
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (6-core)

Ubuntu is up in about 4-5 seconds.
Xojo IDE is ready to go in 2 seconds
including all MBS plugins it’s about 4-8 seconds. (varies)

So the Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 drive is a seriously fast SSD, maximum speeds 3200MB/s read and 18000MB/s write.
Conclusion my macs are slow (xojo ide takes 15+ sec to load) , an M.2 high speed SSD makes a serious change.

Still macs work nice®, once you get used to them.

oops, forgot my mac specs:
8GB Ram on both machines.
Macbook 13" Late 2016 (Xojo takes about 15-20 seconds to load, with plugins it goes way slower)
IMac 21,5" Late 2011 (Xojo takes about 10-15 seconds to load, with plugins it goes way slower)

If anyone is going to develop on a machine in something approaching full time make sure you get a powerful enough machine
And thats usually NOT the cheapest machine - regardless of what OS it runs

More cores wont help Xojo - faster cores do
And yeah I’d love an M.2 drive in this machine
That alone makes a big difference as they are blazingly fast

Really ??? 15 seconds to load - with or without plugins ?
When I debug the IDE sources it might take 15 seconds to start (compile etc) and my machine is old & slow comparatively

EDIT : well comparatively mine is probably faster that either of yours even though its more like your iMac in terms of age
Mines a mid 2012 retina MacBook Pro

[quote=334558:@Thomas Mueller]Compile time will be ok with the MacBook 12"?

I don’t want the pro because of the loud fans. MB 12" don’t have anything which could be make noise. :)[/quote]
If you’re projects are light, then it will be fine, but I would imagine with larger projects it will become tiresome.

FWIW, my 2015 Retina MacBook Pro doesn’t spin up the fans compiling the IDE, and that’s no light project.

My suggestion is to make sure you get an SSD and have at least 16GB of RAM. They made all the difference in the world when I upgraded my previous machine.

Personally, I’ve been evaluating what kind of computer would be the “next one” for more than six months… including MacBook, MacBook Pro (with or without touchbar), HP, Dell… based on Windows or Linux…

Finally past May I bought the rMacBook Pro 15" NO touchbar with 16 GB RAM and 512 SSD (2015 generation): powerful enough with the RAM and storage to not having problems in a while… The only downside I see is that it weights more than the MacBook or MacBook Air I had before, so if you travel a lot… then maybe that would be a “problem”.

It works really fast with Xojo and other apps you’ll probably need too (i.e. designing or graphic apps).

[quote=334592:@Greg O’Lone]FWIW, my 2015 Retina MacBook Pro doesn’t spin up the fans compiling the IDE, and that’s no light project.

My suggestion is to make sure you get an SSD and have at least 16GB of RAM. They made all the difference in the world when I upgraded my previous machine.[/quote]
Sure, the 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro is fine compiling my larger projects; yet the little MacBook I have here; goes really really slowly… Could be the SSD, could it’s only got 8GB of RAM, but I suspect the the Core M chip is mainly the slowdown. The Pro has better processors and now that the 13" Pro is the same price as the 12" MacBook.

The OP may also want to look at Refurbished machines, can probably get a Pro or Air for a lot less with a lot more grunt. And it’s the way to get a Pro Apple laptop :wink: