MAC or WINDOWS?

[quote=214391:@Emile Schwarz]Only for 32 bits applications.

Even Windows XP had a 64 bits version ;-:)[/quote]
The IDE is a 32 bit app regardless of the underlying OS so its restricted to 32 bit process space

The question is relevant and stems from rational thinking. It does however beg for an answer, and I think I have one that makes at least some sense. I waited a bit after I threw the rock in the pond, so that the commotion died down a bit.

When I test my applications, I like to manage several client VM remote desktop connexions in real time (One Ubuntu or Mint VM, one Win7, one Win XP - even if it is fast becoming irrelevant, one Win 10, plus one remote desktop to the DB Server and one remote desktop to the web server.) I like to see and monitor what happens on each computer real time, so I like to have all these environments available with the least mouse clicks. A 4K monitor will let me spread several VM’s on the same screen so I can or example see real time the number of handles or threads open at once on the web server, watch resources on the DB server etc. all real time, all at once.

Necessary? not at all.
Useful? possibly. I will see. Or maybe not…
Do I want the toy? most certainly.
Will my wife financial manager let me buy the toy? Working on it… :wink:

Multiple monitors works well

yes. that is my current setup.

Nice screen resolution motivate me to stay long in front of computers.

Fast Hard drive SSD motivates me to initiate code-run-code style.

Fast CPU moivates me not to bother with the recompilation time.

Large memory motivates me to open multiple instance of a program.

XOJO motivates me to buy MAC. hahaha.

[quote=214244:@ronaldo florendo]Thanks for insight Guys.

Anybody here who experienced transformation from Windows to OSX? Any performance difference?[/quote]

Yep.

Usually, when I take fervent Windows users to a Mac platform, they gripe, moan, and complain for about a week to 10 days. Then the griping seems to just go away. When forced to go back to a PC, they usually get guilty looks and ask if there is not some way they can do what they have to do - on a Mac.

It’s insidious. :slight_smile:

In terms of User Interface and behavior, consistency, and just plain fun - OS X and Macs usually win. In terms of pure raw horsepower or head’s down operations, Windows can hold it’s own with anything.

It is really a matter of preference. Except when it comes to the screen video. Retina displays are awesome, especially for old tired eyes like mine. They seem to be the answer to the headaches and eye twisting nausea that some monitors cause. Even nice monitors, like HP EliteDisplay E241i’s.

-Paul

Avoid using fluorescent lights
They have a “refresh rate” that is different than most monitors (LED, LCD or CRT) and can cause really bad issues

Absolutely- except, one cannot always avoid the dratted things, like in office settings. At home we have switched everything to LED lights. Cooler, and there is far less - perhaps even none - of the fluorescent “flicker” stuff. Really good advice, thanks!

The offices where I’ve had to work with these I actually got maintenance to remove them from the pots near me - after consulting with my manager and having gone home several days with severe headaches from eye strain

Companies are a lot more attuned to these sorts of issues now than they used to be

The first thing I always used to do when getting a new job was walk around and check the video settings on all PCs. IT Support could not be bothered to set the PCs up individually so maybe once a year they would make one Install CD or network image and use that one to set up every PC. With many that meant that the correct video drivers were not installed, and the video card defaulted to 60 Hz even when the card and monitor could do much more - which was painful on CRT monitors. Especially the secretaries were eternally grateful for me fixing the flickering issues.

Even then if you used a CRT + Fluorescent lights they refreshed at very different rates & over time your eyes noticed & you’d get eye strain

Worked in one office where we installed full spectrum fluorescents as the old ones were VERY yellow
I was the only person that wore glasses and only part time - way back when
In 7 months everyone had such strain we all wore glasses

When we had occupational health & safety in to look this over they removed most lights immediately over peoples work stations & reverted to incandescents (this was long ago)
Every other time I’ve made this same complaint the result has always been to remove the incandescents and replace them with incandescents or halogens or LEDS

Fluorescents are really hard on the eyes in conjunction with CRTS (perhaps the worst) LCD & LED monitors as well
Fixing refresh rates int the monitors helps but only seems to delay the issue

Yet another stupid platform war. Ignore conversation…

Actually it wasnt but you’d have to read the thread to know that

I am a Windows user (Hi, I am a PC :slight_smile: ), and I typically find Windows (be gentle) way faster than Mac for most operations, except for graphics. Graphics with other programming languages are very fast and Xojo does have faster graphics on a Mac.

I have a few Macs (Macbook Pro, Mac Mini, etc) and find that Windows is typically much faster. The PC’s I purchase are typically laptops which integrate the parts together - not quite as good as MBP, but pretty close. After piecing PC’s together for years, it is usually best to get a laptop with all of the drivers that tend to work together. ASUS seems to work well for me, and I would not typically purchase an HP or Toshiba, as the quality seems to be substandard.

The best Mac device I have is the Airport Extreme. Mac does not tend to have the bells-and-whistles with other routers but it is VERY stable and reliable and works well when talking to PC’s.

My family just can’t seem to get their head around the differences with the Mac desktop and Windows desktop after 1.5 years - everyone is looking for the Windows button - thanks goodness the button came back in Windows 10. Almost every corporation that I have worked and programmed with uses Windows. Only the occasional business owner runs a Mac-only company. Businesses seem to prefer Windows, although that could change in the future.

If there is serious computing that you want to perform with a Windows operating system on a Mac, don’t install it on Parallels as it is VERY slow, and use the Bootcamp option as this is still slow but better than Parallels on a Mac.

Mac is better at installing multiple operating systems, because the Mac operating system is not legal to install on a non-Mac computer (I think this is correct).

There seems to be a slow trend within the programming community to move more of the programming to Web apps rather than creating Desktop specific applications. The greatest benefit of web programming is that this is more Operating System neutral – meaning you program once and can open the application on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, or whatever OS is available. Yes, there will still be demand for Desktop applications and this is just merely an observation.

With options to program Web Applications, the computer or operating system really comes down to personal choice. It’s almost the same as vehicle preferences, do you prefer a Ford or Chevy?

Since when did “you have to choose a side” replace “whatever works best for me”?

I have a Ford, a Dodge & a Chev :stuck_out_tongue:

I use both Mac and PCs. You can definitely get a faster PC for the money that you spend on a Mac. But note that PCs usually SEEM faster even when they are not. There are at least three reasons for that:

For one MacOS is capping the speed deliberately for some operations. Just one example: Scrolling on a PC seems way faster, it is actually so fast that when you click on the down arrow that you’ve reached the end before you can see where you are (not sure if they changed that as I still use Word 2007 on Win7). MacOS uses a MaximumScrollingSpeed so that you can still see where you are.

You need to compare like for like. Macs usually last a long time, so in my experience people often compare an old Mac with a new PC. I still have an 8 year old 24in iMac from 2007 that Is going strong as an entertainment center (its at the couch, so use it to watch TV) and for general use. I just installed the Golden Master of the latest MacOS El Capitan and it is surprisingly fast (it originally came with Tiger, was fasr with Leopard and Snow Leopard, skipped Lion, was slow with Mountain Lion and Mavericks but fast again with Yosemite).
Note that iMacs are Laptop tech with a big screen, not Desktop tech. Very fast but not number crunchers.

Don’t use MS Office for comparisons. Microsoft is not using Mac technologies but is writing their own routines. That is the reason for the slow font menu and why PowerPoint can’t find a graphic you used after you moved or renamed it (no such problems with Keynote).

Where Macs absolutely shine is when you use lots of apps (I usually have 30+ open at any time (not counting system utilities like Alfred or menu modifications), including VIrtual Machines with Windows and Linux, REAL.studio and Xojo, Dash, MS Office 2008, Safari, Firefox, RapidWeaver, Mail, Preview, GraphicConverter, OmniGraffle, etc) with many open docs (Safari currently has 183 open tabs in 32 windows, there are several projects open in both Xojo and REAL.studio, etc). That comes in very handy when you run multiple virtual machines (WinXP, Win7, Ubuntu, Mint). The reason for that is the different architectural philosophy behind MacOS and Windows. Windows loads each document into its own App stub (thats why each document has its own menu), while MacOS uses one App that opens multiple documents.

My still very fast HexaCore PC with 32 GB of RAM gets slow when I stress it anything like my Mac.

If you experience that Parallels is slow then something is wrong. Bootcamp should be flying too, so that too indicates that something isn’t right.

In the end it comes down to use the best tool for the job. If both tools can do the job then it is down to personal preference and money.

I buy PCs new but all my Macs are second-hand, so I am usually at least 2-3 years behind the curve. My 27in iMac is from 2009, my 17in MBP from 2010, my wife’s 13in MBP is from 2008, plus the 24in from 2007. Newest addition is a 2013 Macbook Air that I got cheap and was able to fix (liquid spilled into the keyboard).

In general, but not always.

Write code, run, quit and ask yourself (on OS X) where the cursor is.

On Windows, the cursor is in the Code Editor, where you left it before the run; not os OS X.

Yes, in general.

Probably one out of three will work, i think :wink:

I feel MAC still outperform PC when talking real computing.

When it regards with muti-tasking ablity.