MAC or WINDOWS?

ATARI ST!!!

Now THAT was a war!

PC vs Mac … pfft.

Z1013

Yes. Agreed. And if you develop on a SSD you have to test on a HD. I once had a piece of code that was lightening fast on a SSD and dog slow on a typical HD.

I keep a couple cheap Windows notebooks for testing…one with a HD.

Personally, I prefer Mary-Anne over Ginger… but nobody asks for my opinion anyhow.

Guys,

Thanks for lot of responses.

By the way, Im from the Phillipines and most client user here uses Windows, and I believe 80% of developer is using Windows PC including me (We’ll as of now).

I just want to clear things up, that I’m not looking for comparison MAC vs PC for ordinary usage.

I start studying Delphi, C#, Powerbuilder, Php, before I found XOJO. Now, I left everything I learned just for XOJO.

In my analysis, XOJO is extra ordinary development tools on its form.

My objective is to Getting the best machine in developing XOJO". Is it MAC or PC.

It is somehow, MAC won the raffle (as of this moment). Maybe some other people might give some more insight.

I hope for more suggestion here.

I think the consensus is, if you are looking to develop cross-platform, the Mac is more convenient because you can test all platforms through virtual machines. If you only want to develop for one platform (in your case, Windows), you should develop on that platform.

In terms of functionality, it’s virtually identical across platforms.

There are minor functional differences in the IDE but these are imposed by the OS sometimes.
For instance, a 32 bit process on OS X can access nearly all 4Gb of RAM available to a 32 bit process.
Not so on Windows simply because of how it works with things like memory mapped I/O.
So it tops out somewhere around 3Gb on Windows.

That can sometimes be relevant

My curse rate doing VBA is much higher compared to doing Xojo on a Mac for much simpler stuff. Thanks the noodle god nobody will ever see my hacked together Excel macros. Recently I had to do a Quick sort with variants because the array implementation in VBA is just bad.

Anyways: get a Mac and run Windows and Linux on it.

[quote=214310:@jean-paul devulder]AMIGAAAAAAAAA !!

if you doesn’t find, use BeOS[/quote]

I have several Amiga’s here. I restore them back to ‘almost like new’ condition.

The jewel in the crown ? The sidecar accelerators; GVP and suchlike.

They offered a ‘blistering’ 50Mhz…

:slight_smile:

Any Mac v.s. PC debate is about as useful as a iPhone v.s. Android debate :wink:

It’s down to what ever floats your boat, and as a developer what your target audience is using.

I would have to say that OSX is the only way to go if you’re setting up, you’ll be able to run Windows & Linux as vm’s on your Apple box without breaking license agreements and that is a very one way street.

Things are worse (or better ?) than that:
I have a “slow” processor with a 11.6" monitor (Full HD: 1920 x 1080) and it is a two in one ! All of this for 399€ ($299 ?) build by Lenovo (Akoya for the Europeans readers).

It is a bit slow, but since it is a testing machine (and a TV Set with an ElGato Diversity USB key *), the speed is fantastic.

• Are there some users or Terratec Home TNT Cinema software ?

Only for 32 bits applications.

Even Windows XP had a 64 bits version ;-:slight_smile:

I use Windows 10/8 most of the time, but finally bought a Mac-mini for testing.

[quote=214391:@Emile Schwarz]Only for 32 bits applications.

Even Windows XP had a 64 bits version ;-:)[/quote]

Which Xojo apps still are.

Based on my experience with about 40 switchers you’ll need 6-8 weeks to get used to it …

Has anyone considered that the OP may be a troll who wants to see a good Mac V Windows boxing match.

Ok.

In general, it seems MAC beats Windows for XOJO.

Thanks guys!

MAc performance is always better than the windows and you can get more utilization of the your hardware in Mac in compare than the windows.
iPhone

You might also find this blog post relevant:

Computers for Cross-Platform Development