Lomb-Scargle Periodogram?

Greetings Forum -

Its been a while since I’ve been around. Now, however, I think that I need to implement “Lomb-Scargle Periodogram” algorithm. This is a time-series analysis tool that is in MatLab and in libraries available for python and R. It is supposed to be a kind of Fourier Transform, but optimized for non-uniform sampling. In recent years, it has especially been used to analyze light intensity from stars to detect exoplanets.

So, the really big question is whether or not someone has an implementation that they can share for a non-commercial application? Lacking that, I am hoping that someone has some first-hand experience working with the guts of the beast and can provide some insight into what is needed.

Any helpers?

Many thanks
Jim Wagner
Oregon Research Electronics

Have you tried to Goggle this? I quickly found a python library at http://docs.astropy.org/en/stable/stats/lombscargle.html . Is this for commercial software or for yourself? How much time do you want to invest? Python is - compared to Xojo - pretty awful. But a quick script and a wrapper into an app that you can talk to with the shell is not too complicated.

Thank you Beatrix - This is a university/research application, not personal or commercial. So, others may want to use it.

I mentioned in my original post that I had found a python library. What I did forget was the capability of script to do something like launch a python application. I’d like not to have to have to require python to be installed but if that is what I need to do, I can. I have done a bit in python, before, but, yes, I would like not to have to decode that. One of the two libraries (R or python) required a FORTRAN machine underneath, to run the code, and that was especially daunting.

Was hoping that someone on the list knows a bit more about the algorithm, itself.

Best wishes,

Jim Wagner
Oregon Research Electronics