Listbox remove dupes not working

Hello! I’ve got a listbox with one column and a list. I want to remove any duplicates. I found a snippet of code on the Forums that seemed to be mostly what I need, and I tweaked and added a line of code to remove the duplicates found, but I’m getting an out of bounds exception error. Any ideas what I have wrong?

dim iMaxRow as Integer = (VENDORS_LISTBOX.ListCount - 2)
dim iMaxCol as Integer = (VENDORS_LISTBOX.ColumnCount - 1)

for iRow as Integer = 0 to iMaxRow
dim iNextRow as Integer = iRow + 1

for iColumn as Integer = 0 to iMaxCol
if VENDORS_LISTBOX.Cell(iRow, iColumn) <> VENDORS_LISTBOX.Cell(iNextRow, iColumn) then
// Not a match, check the next row
continue for iRow

end

next

// If we reach this point, the row is a duplicate
VENDORS_LISTBOX.Cell(iNextRow, 1) = “Duplicate”

VENDORS_LISTBOX.RemoveRow(iNextRow)

next iRow

You have to work backwards.

for iRow = iMaxRow downto 0

(In the future, please use the “code” tag to properly format code you post. It will help us help you.)

I’m looking for it. Where did the Code tag go?

Where does this line go/replace?

Easiest way to do it is to use a single backticks inline, so this has backticks around it, or use three backticks on its own line before and after the code.

has ``` before and after

Got it. I swear there used t be a “code” icon in the toolbar.

I’m struggling a bit to know where to place the line you gave me in the example I gave,

for iRow = iMaxRow downto 0

Niles,

Imagine a list like this:

01 - joe
02 - jane
03 - jane
04 - jim
05 - steve
06 - lisa
07 - lisa
08 - tom
09 - steve
10 - steve

If you move forward through the list, you have a problem because your “spot” in the list keeps changing as the list shrinks.

When you delete the first Jane, your iRow value is 1. (2-1 because listboxes are zero-based)

On the next iteration of the loop, your iRow is 2 (next value), but… you’re now on Jim (row 4) because you deleted one of the Janes. So you’re iRow value is no longer in sync with the list, it should be 3 (4-1) but it’s 2 instead.

By the time you get to the two Steves at the end, your iRow will be up to 6 and when you try too iterate again, you’re going to get an out of bounds error because you’re asking for row 8 (iRow = 7) and no row 8 exists at this point.

01 - joe
02 - jane
03 - jim
04 - steve
05 - lisa
06 - tom
07 - steve

So instead, start at the end of the list and count down.

Since you’re “counting down”, you don’t need to worry about if the list gets shorter. You’re never going to go “out of bounds” because iRow is always decreasing.

Taking the same list:

01 - joe
02 - jane
03 - jane
04 - jim
05 - steve
06 - lisa
07 - lisa
08 - tom
09 - steve
10 - steve

Now when you delete steve at row 10, your next iRow value is 8 (9-1), which is still a valid value, when you delete lisa, your next iRow value is 5 (6-1) which is still fine.

You’re never going to try and fetch a row which doesn’t exist anymore, because you’re deleting the last duplicate row in the listbox first in your for…next loop.

Even if you were deleting every row in the listbox, there’s still be no OOB exception since the last row you’d delete would be the first row in the listbox. (iRow = 0)

So getting back to your code, you’d want to do something like this:

dim iLastRow as Integer = (VENDORS_LISTBOX.ListCount - 1)
dim iLastColumn as Integer = (VENDORS_LISTBOX.ColumnCount - 1)

//for each row, **starting from the last**
for iRow as integer = iLastRow DownTo 0
  //check every column, they *all* must match row above for the row to be a duplicate
  //NOT deleting Listbox's columns, so ok to iterate through columns from first to last
  for iColumn as Integer = 0 to iLastColumn
    if VENDORS_LISTBOX.Cell(iRow, iColumn) <> VENDORS_LISTBOX.Cell(iNextRow, iColumn) then
      //if *any* column doesn't match, skip to the next iteration of the loop
      continue for iRow
   else 
    //this row is identical to the row "above" it, so remove this row
    VENDORS_LISTBOX.RemoveRow(iRow)`
   end if
next

to remove the duplicate rows. <this is forum code - might have bugs!>

HTH,
Anthony

1 Like

Anthony,

Thank you for taking the time to lay all this out for me. It does help, and I appreciate it!

I am still unable to get the code to work. I had change iNextRow to iLastRow, since you code snippet didn’t define this, and I figure it was something left over and not changed from my original example. Also, it needed an additional next command.

Now it compiles, but I get the same outofbounds error as before.

Here’s what I’m using:

for iRow as integer = iLastRow DownTo 0
  //check every column, they *all* must match row above for the row to be a duplicate
  //NOT deleting Listbox's columns, so ok to iterate through columns from first to last
    if VENDORS_LISTBOX.Cell(iRow, iColumn) <> VENDORS_LISTBOX.Cell(iLastRow, iColumn) then
      continue for iRow
    else 
      VENDORS_LISTBOX.RemoveRow(iRow)
    end if
  next
next```

You’ve changed what I wrote here:

if VENDORS_LISTBOX.Cell(iRow, iColumn) <> VENDORS_LISTBOX.Cell(iLastRow, iColumn) then

You can’t use iLastRow since it’s just the listcount - 1, it’ll go out of bounds. (it’s set before the loop, so it’s not going to change during loop execution)

This is probably closer to what you need.

for iRow as integer = iLastRow DownTo 1
  dim iPreviousRow as integer = iRow - 1
    if VENDORS_LISTBOX.Cell(iRow, iColumn) <> VENDORS_LISTBOX.Cell(iPreviousRow, iColumn) then
      continue for iRow
    else 
    end if
  next
next

Note, this code doesn’t process the first row; if it did iPreviousRow would still end up OOB (it’d be -1 on the last iteration).

One more bug (easy to miss things trying to write forum code). Column count needs to be treated as one-based.

for iColumn as Integer = 0 to iLastColumn -1 //**COLUMN COUNT IS ONE-BASED**
    if VENDORS_LISTBOX.Cell(iRow, iColumn) <> VENDORS_LISTBOX.Cell(iPreviousRow, iColumn) then
      continue for iRow
    else 
    end if
  next
next

OK, so no more outofbounds errors anymore, but I still get the duplicates in the listbox.

I actually tested this code Niles. Here’s a sample project which might help you out.

Good luck!

Looking at your example, I see the problem. My listbox was set to 1 column, not 2. Once I set it to 2 columns (don’t have a 2nd column of info, but oh well.) it works!

Thank you very much!

Niles. I set it up for multiple columns because your original code appeared to be working with multiple columns.

for iColumn as Integer = 0 to iMaxCol

I’d encourage you to actually understand why the code doesn’t work for a single column listbox vs. just adding a second column and moving on.

Here’s a hint, you’ll need an if/else condition around this code block:

for iColumn as Integer = 0 to iLastColumn -1 
    continue for iRow
  else 
  end if
next

in order to get the "deDuplicateList " method in the sample project to support both single column and multi-column listboxes.

I mentioned that is was a snippet of code I found, and in the description I mentioned that my listbox was only one column. My apologies if that wasn’t made clear.

I tried your single column code out, but it didn’t work on your sample project. The column still had to be set for 2.

Honestly, it doesn’t matter. It’s working with 2 columns, and I’m happy. I need a working product at the moment. I’ll make a comment that the column has to be set for 2, if I need to re-use it in the future.

I missed it was a snippet; makes more sense now.

I didn’t provide single column code, so I’m not sure what you think you tried? :wink:

If the sample code provided worked well enough for you, you should mark it as the solution so the topic shows as answered.

For the sake of completeness, this is the code which handles single and multi-column listboxes:

if VENDORS_LISTBOX.ColumnCount > 1 then
    for iColumn as Integer = 0 to iLastColumn -1 
        continue for iRow
      else 
      end if
    next
  else
    //if just one column, reference it directly
    if VENDORS_LISTBOX.Cell(iRow, 0) <> VENDORS_LISTBOX.Cell(iPreviousRow, 0) then
      continue for iRow
    else 
    end if
  end if
next

Bingo!

Thank you very, very much!

You’re welcome. It’s not the prettiest or most efficient code but it does the job.

Something you might consider (both for your own edification and improved utility) is to move this method into a Module method which extends the listbox class. (it has to be a Module and the method’s scope needs to be “Public”)

Hint, the method signature should include a parameter using the “Extends” keyword, similar to this:
extends lb as listbox

Then for any listbox in the project you could call SomeListbox.deDuplicate. (where “SomeListbox”) is the actual name of a Listbox control.

And of course, you could use this module in other projects too… :slightly_smiling_face: