Linux and Stability

Hi, all!

I am setting up an integrated library system (ILS). It is the open source Koha ILS, and it runs fairly well. It is maintained by an avid group with two major feature upgrades a year and bug fixes every 6-8 weeks. It is written in PERL 5 for Debian 9 “Stretch” or later and Ubuntu 19 and later. Given the nature of ILS’s, Koha runs as a file server under MySQL or MariaDB; and the interface is through a browser.

I don’t have a problem with either the setup, per se; and I do not bash either. However, two days ago, I updated the catalog. It ran fine in both the staff view and patron view. Then I ran the system updates. The staff view continued to work as before. The patron view continued to work excepting for a book search. Then 500 errors for every search.

I have toyed with the idea of rewriting Koha in Xojo just as an exercise, and build a web application for Linux. If I were to do so, would I have to worry about corruption due to system updates?

As I wrote above, I don’t have a problem with any of this. It is, after all, open source robustly by a dedicated group of developers. My main question is how susceptible to vulnerabilities the Linux builds of Xojo applications are.

Many thanks, all!

I’ve had very good success with stability, compatibility, and security for 5 serious, enterprise level Xojo-built apps on Linux. Of course, your own coding mistakes can get you, but that is true for any development tools :slight_smile: .

My only caveat is that since this is a web tool, you might want to request a license for 19r3.2 or earlier so that you can use the Web 1.0 SDK/API unless you are a bootstrap/CSS guru. Web 1.0 is all built into the Xojo environment as styles, while Web 2.0 requires that you create bootstrap style settings externally from the IDE’s RAD environment or manually craft CSS style definitions in an external editor and import them.

1 Like

Good to know. I have current and past licenses, so generating the proper web stuff ought not be a problem.

Thanks for the advice.