Lightweight CRUD MongoDB driver

I am pleased to announce that Patrick Perroud developed a new CRUD MongoDB driver. This is a great to-the-point driver that reduces much of the complexities of a complete driver, and an excellent starting point for projects that needs basic access to MongoDB databases. The driver is well documented and real easy to use.

xojomongo.org/

I’m posting here on his behalf because I think a lot of Xojo developers with basic MongoDB needs will benefit from his driver.

Patrick submitted his next post on his blog. In this post he shows how you can use the RunCommand to extend the capabilities of the driver, and add advanced features to your application.

Thank you Alwyn.

I want you to know I have just debug/run XojoMongo’s Test application successfully against MongoDB 3.0.0 which is great news as it means your own MongoDB driver should be fine with this new version as well.

Patrick Perroud

This is great news indeed.

Btw, liked your latest blog post on how to use the CRUD driver to add more advanced MongoDB queries to your application.

Here is the link for those interested…

Adding a GetCollectionStats Method To XojoMongo.MongoClient Class

Bump,

A great post on data mining foreign currency rates issued daily by the European Central Bank, and storing it in a MongoDB database.

XojoMongo Currency Rates tutorial - Part 1: the console application

Part 2 of the currency data mining project is now available:

XojoMongo Currency Rates tutorial - Part 2: the web application

The web app is starting to take nice shape…

XojoMongo Currency Rates tutorial - Part 3: the web view

And in conclusion, part 4 of this four part tutorial.

XojoMongo Currency Rates tutorial - Part 4: the data model

These tutorials is a good lesson on how to implement the MVC design pattern in a Xojo Web application.

A big thank you to Patrick for taking the time to write these tutorials.

UPDATE: I stand to be corrected. Patrick informed me that part 4 isn’t the conclusion. There are two more posts on the workbench, nl. MVC Refactoring and Web Application Analytics. :slight_smile:

Any documentation on where to download the files and how to access?

I meant what folder to upzip the files to.

I think Patrick mentions somewhere on the website that you can email him if you want the source code of the project.

This tutorial goes into refactoring some of the shortcomings of the existing MVC design…

XojoMongo Currency Rates tutorial - Part 5: more data model

Enjoy :slight_smile:

And the final tutorial in the XojoMongo Currency tutorial series…

XojoMongo Currency Rates tutorial - Part 6: more web session

Thanks for the tutorials, and enjoy your offshore sailing vacation Patrick :wink:

thank you both of you for this piece of software (MongoDB driver).
Any plans to support new MongoDB 3 authentication process ?

Hi Martinho,

I can’t speak for Patrick, but I don’t have any immediate plans myself to implement MongoDB 3 authentication, due to the limited time I currently have available to work on this driver.

The driver is open source so anyone is welcome to look into this if they wish.

I might come back to this again when my work schedule allows for it again.

In a client / server architecture this is not the client (here the Xojo application) that chooses an authentication method to connect the MongoDB instance. The client app will auth a connection complying with the database config.

At the moment I have no server using SCRAM authentication. Therefore I have no need for this myself.

If someone really had such a requirement and could provide a remote access (for testings) to a MongoDB instance that uses SCRAM authentication then I’ll be glad to help.

But I am not quite convinced this is the best way to go. If your Xojo application was acting as a proxy to a localhost only connection then the SCRAM authentication would mostly slow the instance performances - don’t you think?

Want to learn how to build your own web server running as a service, in just 20 minutes?

XojoMongo Proxy tutorial Part 1: the service application

Thanks for this great post Patrick. I enjoyed the tutorial, and are amazed at how easy it is to build a web server with Xojo.

XojoMongo.org seems to have gone offline. Is the driver still available?

I am sorry to confirm the web site was shutdown and the xojomongo driver discontinued a few weeks ago.

Drop me an email if you want a copy of the latest xojo project, for your own use, or to make it available again by yourself.