Lifeboat Error

@Tim_Parnell. I purchased Lifeboat a few months back and am only now playing around with it. I’m trying to setup a server to serve some static files for testing purposes. No matter what I do however I keep getting this error:

whenever I click on the “Manage Files” button in the Static Files section. I’ve followed your YouTube video (here) and tried with various domains and subdomains. This is using a new DigitalOcean droplet. The DNS appears to have resolved. What does this error mean?

Are you using Ubuntu 22.x? Try Ubuntu 20.x droplet or other OS.

Sometimes newer/latest OS version change something that Tim uses to identify a valid/compatible server. Please report the OS that you are trying to use.

1 Like

Indeed I am using 22.10. I’ll spin up another droplet with 20.x and report back…

Maybe try 22.04 LTS - this version works fine for me with the current Lifeboat 118 and static files…

1 Like

So a new droplet with Ubuntu 20.04 works fine. I’m guessing it’s an issue with 22.10. @Tim_Parnell you may or may not wish to look into that.

Thanks everyone.

1 Like

Thanks for helping me answer Garry, everyone! I appreciate the community support, it makes me happy to build software people like :heart:

I will look into 22.10, it introduced other problems that were fixed so of course I missed something…

As a Linux tip, you’ll definitely be happier with a nn.04 LTS. The nn.10 versions tend to disappear after the next yy.04 LTS comes out.

3 Likes

I have been digging and a digging, and been told this is the version of tree stuck in the official release. Good job, Ubuntu team :upside_down_face: I have fix instructions if anyone needs them, but the easy way to avoid this is to use a stable release like 22.04 LTS or better yet, Debian.

I’m not sure I want to add yet another Ubuntu specific hack into Lifeboat, for a version of Ubuntu that will be dead in a few months anyway. I have added a check and alert, but not a fix. If 24.04 has this issue, I’ll revisit adding the workaround; but tree has already been updated to fix the XML error so hopefully 24.04 uses the newer version.

3 Likes

yes, stability is whhat’s debian is known for and used everywhere, ubuntu is more for desktop it seems, so no need to waste time on this?

Sometimes what we think or like should be confronted by the reality. The size of the user base is a key factor for decisions. Ubuntu can’t be ignored.

Source: Ubuntu vs. Debian usage statistics, January 2024