License key

I bought a basic license yesterday for mac os but Xojo still tell me:
“You need a build license in order to build this project”
And the license key menu tell me:
“Your license keys are up to date”
I wrote to custserv@xojo.com but no Answer yet
???
jjc_Mtl

You need to sign in to the Xojo app itself once you have a license key to unlock the app.

How do I do that?
My Account (jjchailloux) send me to https://ide.xojo.com/account/settings/
so…
jjc_Mtl

At the right side in Settings there is a menu that has the Buy option.
Click that option and you can buy a Xojo license.
You can also click ‘Buy’ in the menu in the top bar of the webpage

I bought one yesterday
and like I said: And the license key menu tell me:
jjc_Mtl

You need to download the key. Then drag’n’drop this file into the License Window of Xojo.

Start Xojo and in the Xojo menu choose Sign in…
After you sign in with the username/password, you get a message “Your licenses will now be updated automatically.”
After that you should be able to build your project.
If not you must contact Xojo, because something is wrong.

As far as I know, you also need to download the license key file and install that file. Well, that’s how I do it. :slight_smile:

I did All that
the dowloaded key name is Jean-Jacques Chailloux.xojo_license
I have quit Xojo.app
reload it
Signed out
signed in again AND, same thing:
“You need a build license in order to build this project”
And the license key menu tell me:
I wrote to custserv@xojo.com but no Answer yet
A hint (may be):
I downloaded a 2013 version of Xojo because my mac has OS 10.6.8
did they change the license key format?
I am waiting for customer service
jjc_Mtl

Are you building for a platform that your license doesn’t cover?
If you bought a Basic license for Mac, you can only build for Mac - if you have other platform checkboxes selected it might be causing the message you’re seeing.

I stayed sitting on mi Xojo license # (in 2013) before I started to understand how to use it (and with help from this forum or from the list…).

It tooks me some minutes (few) to buy the license and so many weeks before I could start using it.

I still recall my bad feeling at the time.

Still no documentation about how to register Xojo IDE (in 2017, FOUR years after my buying) ?

No: I checked that also
I even try “OS X”, “This Computer” and both options checked
jjc_Mtl

Yes, that is the culprit.
You bought the license yesterday, so you are only allowed to use the current version and the releases coming within one year.
OS X 10.6.8 isn’t supported in the latest Xojo version and you don’t have a license for the version you are using.
That’s the reason why you get the message.

Well…
I will ask for a refund (90 days they say) and think of a new machine.
Thank you all
jjc_Mtl

To be sure of that, set the license running 2017r1 and build a project.

If the application is created without any error message, send another message to Xojo explaining what you want to do.

They certainly will find a solution for you… or the refund, eventually.

[quote=324180:@Paul Sondervan]Yes, that is the culprit.
You bought the license yesterday, so you are only allowed to use the current version and the releases coming within one year.
That’s the reason why you get the message.[/quote]
I just tested, and this does not appear to be true. My license started in 2014, and I can build with 2013r1.

[quote=324181:@Jean-Jacques Chailloux]Well…
I will ask for a refund (90 days they say) and think of a new machine.
Thank you all
jjc_Mtl[/quote]

You know, we are sunday, and Xojo is closed. I am sure they will find you a solution first thing Monday. They can make it so you can use the Xojo version compatible with 10.6.8. Just give them time to resume business.

You can drop a note to custserv@xojo.com with mention of this thread, that will prompt them to act.

First message of hope!!!
Thanks to all
jjc_Mtl

Hi @Jean-Jacques Chailloux! Welcome to Xojo! I’m sure we can get you up and running! We have received your message and Customer Service will be in touch as soon as possible. :slight_smile:

Hi Guys, Thanks to everyone for helping @Jean-Jacques with this. I have written him privately to help get this sorted. To clear up some correct and some not so exactly correct information in this thread:

If you are having trouble activating on a machine, first check that you are Signed Into the Xojo IDE and your license key is visible in the Xojo License Key window.

When you open the License Key Window in Xojo do you see your license listed there?

Yes -> Then make sure your build settings aren’t set to build for a platform your license doesn’t support. (like trying to build for iOS or Web with a Desktop license.) Also, make sure you aren’t trying to access a feature your license doesn’t include, like linking to a database other than SQLite with a Xojo Lite license.

No -> Sign In to Xojo with the Xojo username and password you used when you purchased. If you can’t download your license to the Xojo IDE, go to your license key page at the Xojo website and verify you haven’t used all your activations already. Click the 'x" next to a machine to deactivate your license from that machine. This frees up an activation for a new machine. Then, Sign In to the Xojo IDE on the new machine to activate your license there. Make sure to use the same Xojo ID that you used when you purchased. Remember, Xojo Lite licenses allow for 1 activation at a time, Xojo Desktop, Web & iOS licenses allow for 2 and Xojo Pro and Enterprise allow for 3.

Further, any Xojo license will give you access to build with any previous Xojo release - there is no limitation by year. A license bought today in 2017 will let you build with any previous Xojo release.

Edit: There is one exception, Xojo Lite licenses were not introduced until 2014r2 so the IDE from 2013 doesn’t recognize them. If you want to build with 2013r3.3 or any release from before 2014r2 you will need any Xojo license other than a Lite license.