Language translation: Developers help developer

[quote=73884:@Alwyn Bester][/quote]

You may want to split French as well, at least distinguish between Canadian French and European French. Computer language can be quite different. For instance “Browser” in FR-CA is “Butineur” and FR-FR is “Navigateur”.

Done.

Since the region of a language seems to be just as important as the language itself when it comes to translations, I’ve released an intermediate release of OpenPhrase.org (v0.4.1) where all the languages have been updated to include the region. The following changes were applied:

Portuguese = Portuguese (Portugal) + Portuguese (Brazil)
French = French (France) + French (Canada)
Dutch = Dutch (Belgium) + Dutch (The Netherlands)
Norwegian = Norwegian (Nynorsk) + Norwegian (Bokmal)

Any new languages added to the database will also from here froth always include the region. Obviously there are still lots of languages that needs to be added to the database, but I’ll add new languages as they are requested by users.

Thanks for everyone pointing out these subtle, yet important issues. I’m by no means a translation or language expert so the input helps a lot to improve the website for everyone’s benefit.

I have a lot of exciting features planned once all the basics are in place. One future feature that I think will benefit everyone, will be the ability to search the phrase database for translations, and then export the results to a CSV file or even a ready-to-run SQL script. This will make it super easy for developers to import translations into their software programs.

Alwyn,

despite me having selected German and English as languages now, the dashboard (although showing there’s still some unrated translations) tells me in red I can only rate (or translate) if I have two or more languages selected in my profile. Should I change something in m profile again?

Hmmmm, it should show you a phrase to rate…

Will look into this and get back to you.

Ok, found and fixed an error with the phrase selection algorithm that is used to display phrases on your dashboard.

You should now see phrases to rate on your dashboard Ulrich.

Just keep in mind, the dashboard won’t display phrases to rate that weren’t translated FROM a language in your profile TO another language in your profile… for example…

[Spanish (Spain)] Calibracin
[English (United States)] calibration
[German (Germany)] Kalibrierung Not yet rated.

Even though a user provided a translation for the Spanish phrase in English, the above phrase can only be rated by a Spanish=>German translator, and not an English=>German translator.

It works! Thanks a lot, Alwyn!

What I miss currently is the option to skip a rating. As long as there is no comments option, it would be unfair to rate the one that drops out for me next without giving a hint on why it is not perfect. As long as I don’t rate it, I cannot access other translations to rate.
But never mind, it’s amazing how fast you built this whole site – no intention to urge you to hurry even more.

Thanks Ulrich. I plan to implement skipping, comments and a forgot password feature in the next update. Will post here when implemented.

Alywn you are a machine. You just keep cranking out updates left and right. You did the same with the MongoDB driver too.

I always wondered where these binary feelings came from :-p

Ok, so the website has just been updated with skipping, rating comments and forgot password features.

Excellent, Alwyn. I translated a bit just to test and it works fine this way.
But this lead me to the next wish on my never-ending list: I realized one of my translations could be a bit misleading. Would be fine if I could correct this :wink:

Again, thanks a lot for your incredibly fast work!

Yeah, I’ve also just runned through a few translations to test things, and immediately realized an “Edit Translation” feature is required to edit your own translations.

Definitely next on the list the implement :wink:

I’m thinking that when a translation is edited, all the ratings for the particular translation is removed, and users then need to “re-rate” the new translation.

Yes, this would be logical. After all, it’s a new translation then.

Just updated website with v0.7.0. A new panel named “Translations” is added to the dashboard where you can now view the rating comments made about your translations, and also edit translations where needed.

Note that if you do update a translation with new text, then all the existing comments and rating scores for the translation is deleted.

I realize the UI of the website is still very rough around the edges, and for now I’m really only concentrating on getting the functionality of the website perfect. Once all the functionality is sorted, I’ll continue to tweak the interface with improvements. Splitting data into pages instead of displaying sequential lists of text is obviously an important UI feature I plan to implement as soon as possible.

Just a heads up, I’m receiving a lot of good feedback and feature requests for OpenPhrase.org through email. With time I’ll get to everyone’s requests, but I might not be able to so as quickly as in the past, since the “TODO” list is really growing at a very rapid rate.

Thanks for everyone that is sending through all their great ideas for the website.

Awesome Alwyn, that’s what I call Agile Development on the rocks!

BTW, how can I remove a translation I made?

Thanks Amando…

There isn’t a “remove translation” feature yet, but I will make sure to add such a feature with the next update. I’m working on it again next week Monday, so you can expect that to have the feature implemented early next week :wink:

I just finished a class I will share tomorrow (last minute testing). By dropping the class into any project and calling 2 functions, it will auto translate an application into 80 different languages with 99% accuracy, and create the localization files for distribution. I also created an editor application to edit the localization files. The class auto handles any text based controls (ie menus, toolbars, pushbuttons, bevelbuttons, combo boxes, popup menus, listboxes, labels, textfields, textareas, etc.) and uses a simple method to handle msgbox instances or places where strings will be displayed to the user within Xojo code itself. No dynamic constant tom-foolery. For a test, I took an already completed application to translate. In under 10 minutes the class was integrated, and within 5 minutes of waiting for the translation files to complete and be generated, the application was localized into 80 of the most common languages. I originally developed the class for LiveCode, .Net and Java, but have finally completed the Xojo version. Both parts will be available (The localization class and translation class).

Perhaps this could be of use to OpenPhrase?

Here is the latest source code of my Localization Class and Translation Class thrown together into the Localization editor/creator app. The app itself is currently localized into 40 languages. With a little encoding pizzazz I should be able to get the right to left working for languages such as arabic/hebrew and get the characters to display correctly in Xojo. The “Simulanics Lingua Pro” (localization editor/creator) was created with and for the localization/translation classes. Comes with a readme of “how-to” integrate the classes in just a few minutes.

PS - Bluehost is messing with the servers today so if its not available…try again later. (The download IS NOT broken…)

http://www./demos/SLP.rar

Screenshot of SLP:

Too bad there isn’t a more universal way to translate for languages. For instance by getting to region specific, you can actually cause more damage translating.

As an example, in Mexico, there are 10 dialects of “Mexican Spanish” with 17 additional minor dialects, in Spain there are 3 primary dialects and if you’re a Castilian speaker, there are 9 different Castilian dialects, then in Argentina and Southern American countries there are another 7 dialects, and northern South America another 4 primary dialects, and between Costa Rica and the Dominican Republic there are 11 dialects. There are other spanish speaking countries, but just in this one example there are already 61 different dialects of spanish…should an application be localized into all of them or a “Primary Spanish” language. (I didn’t even mention the Andulucian or Basque or none of them…bringing spanish up to over 100 dialects).

As for Canadian and France French. There are 3 main dialects in canada, none are all that similar…but they all “understand” France French.

Matthew,

Thank you for sharing your class, I will give it a try later.

Concerning the localizations, I think you are misunderstanding and overcomplicating matters in regard to the number of Spanish versions or dialects. In Spain there is just one Spanish (also named Castilian). People from different regions have different pronounciations and use a few different words (just like in any country I know, including yours). Then there are three more official languages (not dialects), two of which are roman and one is not. And there are several other roman languages that (sadly) less and less people speak these days.

As for the rest of the Spanish speaking countries, if I am not wrong, the situation is exactly the same. One oficial language, several ways of using it around the country. Moreover, I believe one localization is enough for all the Spanish speaking American countries (please, anyone from those countries correct me if I am wrong as I would like to be sure of this too).

Julen

Matthew, I just tried to open your class and it’s missing around 20 png files.