Language translation: Developers help developer

Awesome, I learned my first Swedish words :wink:

This is the regular expression I’m using to validate passwords with:

^[a-zA-Z0-9_-]{3,15}$

Basically passwords can be between 3 and 15 characters, consisting of alphanumeric characters and the underscore and minus symbols.
Any suggestions for a better regular expression to validate passwords with are welcome.

On a side note, all passwords are stored as salted SHA hashes, but I haven’t yet built in a change password, or forgot password feature. If you forget your password at this point I cannot help you even if I wanted too. Will build in a “forgot password” mechanism in an upcoming version.

Will definitely add this feature.

I was also thinking one would need something like that. Consider it added.

My thinking was that 3 languages was enough just to get a beta out and “experiment” how the features resonates with potential users, before investing a lot of time in development. Currently the “3 languages” are hard coded, but with a little bit of tweaking I can perhaps change it to have an “Add language” button, so that the user can add as many languages as needed.

[quote=71184:@Julen Ibarretxe Uriguen]

• Where can I see previously translated sentences?[/quote]

Currently only the user that requested the translations can see the translations. I’m building in a search feature as we speak. In the next version it should be possible to view and search all the translations.

[quote=71227:@scott boss]I signed up. As most Americans, I only speak 1 languages. I have been trying to learn Spanish but unless we are talking about the cat the dog or milk, I am pretty useless. But until I added a second language, I couldnt see any translations.

• where can I see the translated sentences?
  • can I submit translations that I propose (would count them as full translations, but a starting point for people)?
  • great start for the site!

thanks[/quote]

Like I mentioned to Julen, I’ll build a search feature for the next version, so that everyone can search and explore the translations.

The idea of translation proposals is a good one, and then native speakers can then adjust and rate the translations.

Thanks for everyone’s input. All the feedback gave me a good amount of work for the next version.

My main goal with the website is too make it as easy as possible for developers and translators to collaborate, even if they speak completely different languages.

you might want to do several small updates over one big one. it might make it easier. just a thought.

[quote=71251:@Alwyn Bester]Thanks for everyone’s input. All the feedback gave me a good amount of work for the next version.

My main goal with the website is too make it as easy as possible for developers and translators to collaborate, even if they speak completely different languages.[/quote]
No, thank you for taking the time to put this web together.

Julen

Beatrix, I’ve changed the password validation regular expression for you to:

^[a-zA-Z0-9`~!@#$%^&*()-_=+]{3,32}$

Passwords can now be up to 32 characters and include special characters. A password like the following will now be completely acceptable.

123`~!@#$%^&*()-_=+4234#$%10834o

Hi again,

I think it would also be better to see all the senetences pending translation instaead of just getting the next one in line (I guess). The person that is translating can be unsure about a certain sentence (because of the context, or whatever) but could translate other sentences. As it is right now you get “blocked” if you don’t translate the sentence at hand.

Julen

That makes sense. I’ll be changing the interface a lot base on the feedback and will make sure to add a way to change (and correct) all phrase instead of just the next one.

Alwyn,

I just signed in (having had the password problems like others before) and am prompted with a possibility to rate other german translations. Fine so far, but I only see the translation, not the original (english) wording. A bit hard to guess the accuracy that way :wink: – or did I miss something?

I’m in. How can I start to translate the common interface words?

This would be a nice addition: Instead of asking for a translation, putting in the ones one has already created. This would bring the need for some kind of tagging and some comments – for example, to call could be “nennen” in the meaning of “Call me John” but “anrufen” in the meaning of “give me a call” in German. One should be able to pick the right translation by the supplied information.

[quote=71590:@Ulrich Bogun]Alwyn,

I just signed in (having had the password problems like others before) and am prompted with a possibility to rate other german translations. Fine so far, but I only see the translation, not the original (english) wording. A bit hard to guess the accuracy that way :wink: – or did I miss something?[/quote]

Hi Ulrich.

Did you set English as your second language and German as your first language? If you only specify one language in your profile settings, the system only shows the translation in your native language.

Hmmm, perhaps I should rethink this method

You should be able to translate the phrases from your Dashboard. If however another translator already translated the phrases in your native language, those phrases won’t show up in your dashboard anymore.

I’m working on ideas that even when phrases are already translated, other translators of the same language still gets an opportunity to also translate the phrases and earn points. Thinking double translations could be used as a mechanism where the second translations is used to verify the correctness of the first translation.

OpenPhrase.org still lacks a lot of features and tweaks, which I hope to add in the coming months.

I like this idea a lot. Definitely something that will be looked into.

@Alwyn: how do I do a translation? The dashboard only tells me:

Translate Phrase: No translation requests currently available.

That message indicates that all phrases in the system are translated into one of the languages that you speak, hence there are no translations requests available.

I’m working on changing this so that even if all the phrases are translated, new users are still given an opportunity to translate phrases (even if they have already been translated).

The OpenPhrase UI is probably going to change a lot in the coming months to make things easier and more intuitive, so please bare with me while I use all the feedback to continually improve the system.

I’m doing this part-time so I’ll do my best to first apply the changes that could potentially have the biggest positive impact.

Alwyn,

I think it would be better if the users could translate from/to any language, not just the ones they add to their profile. For example in my case, I feel confortable to translate french into spanish, but not the other way around. Should I add french to my list of languages?

Thank you.

Julen

Spanish should then probably then be your second language and French your third language.

But I get what you’re saying. The system is too restrictive at this point, making the translations not flow as seamlessly as it should.

Another restriction I’m probably going to remove is the one where users cannot translate their own requests. It should be possible for users to translate their own requests as well.

How do I view the existing translations? I only see that someone translated something.