Language Reference

once you hit the “hot key” (for me it is CNTL-OPT-CMD-D) it pops up a window, and I can then start typing in the word I am looking for and it will show you a list of options form all the sources you have downloaded (or there is a way to limit it to one docset but I dont want to go into to much detail at first).

for instance…
CNTL-OPT-CMD-D listbox

that brings up dash then searches for listbox. Every page that has listbox in it comes up as an option.

Thank Scott. I think I’m getting it.

Search is lots better than the on line ref.

[quote=104128:@Jim Smith]Thank Scott. I think I’m getting it.

Search is lots better than the on line ref.[/quote]

the more you use dash and the most features you use, the better it gets (like any tool). I have all but switches to dash only for my docs.

I’m guessing no one knows there a decent little boolean search engine in the local docs ?
You can actually write queries that use ( ) AND OR and a few others to make quite complex searches

[quote=104152:@Norman Palardy]I’m guessing no one knows there a decent little boolean search engine in the local docs ?
You can actually write queries that use ( ) AND OR and a few others to make quite complex searches[/quote]

I did know that. didnt really use it much. But I still prefer dash.

Your choice. Remember:

you are likely only one to make a good first impression.

Please tell me when the time is come to report visual bugs.

[quote=104152:@Norman Palardy]I’m guessing no one knows there a decent little boolean search engine in the local docs ?
You can actually write queries that use ( ) AND OR and a few others to make quite complex searches[/quote]
If this is not in the release notes / PDF, how one can discover that ?

BTW: I discovered many things in the OS alone. Years ago, OS had User’s Manuals. This is no more the case. If one want to know (learn) it have to make guesses, do weird things, etc.

It’s worth noting that you are viewing the online language reference. If you use the offline version ( he one that is specific to the version you are running), I don’t believe it has such visual issues.

Greg: I do not know what you meant *, but the screen shots I provide comes from when I was off line. Oh, and this is the “current” version (Xojo 2014r1.1).

• Language barrier here: my english skills are not enough for me to really understand.

Everybody can see visual bugs (especially this one) while (most of the) functional bugs can be seen by a far less number of people.

Think at what can wrote a newspaper person while doing a press report on the Xojo software…

You are likely only one to make a good first impression.

[quote=104549:@Emile Schwarz]Greg: I do not know what you meant *, but the screen shots I provide comes from when I was off line. Oh, and this is the “current” version (Xojo 2014r1.1).

• Language barrier here: my english skills are not enough for me to really understand.[/quote]
    Look on the first page of the preferences dialog. There’s an option there to decide whether to use the online reference or the offline version.

That may be, but functional bugs hurt more people than visual ones do. For instance, if the navigator is incorrectly drawing something or there is a bug in the code editor, users’ productivity suffers (including ours since we use the product every day). If this Language Reference issue bothers you, I suggest that you file a bug report and evangelize it so people will sign on. If it gets enough points, it’ll show up as something we need to look into sooner rather than later.

That may not pass alpha / beta testing.

But, you are right (a good night make things a bit different).

Have a nice week-end.