Language Reference

I recently removed my internal hard disk and replaced with another (larger, faster), and it is fast.

Of course, I installed Xojo fro a fresh dmg, and forgot to set my licence to it.

At first launch time, I get the Language Reference at this size: 594 x 616
Language Reference - Default size.png.

I enlarged it to be able to watch it and get:
Language Reference - Visual Bug.png

First impression stays for a long, very long time.

We’re aware of it, but functional bugs have a higher priority than visual bugs.

Good lord, man, if you’re developing software on a Mac, you should be using Dash.

Why should he? Dash seems to be extreme overkill for a person if they only use Xojo, and need to look up a few functions etc.
Not everyone develops in half a dozen different languages :slight_smile:

but if you deal with databases then the database docsets are great. and if you deal with HTML the html docsets are great. etc… all with Xojo.

sb

True.

When I started using RB some 5 years ago, I was first irritated by the look of the help system. Till today it looks outdated, like a 90s website. I don’t understand why they changed the IDE, but didn’t amend the help system.

I didn’t know that setting a minimum size for a window is such a huge task…

you can have MBS docs in Dash, too.

I wish the other plugin authors would release their docs as dash docsets.

christian I don’t see MBS in Dash to download

The combination of Dash and PopClip with the Dash plugin makes looking up documentation so much easier, I can’t imagine working without them. That would be living like an animal or something.

What I find sorely lacking in the language reference is phonetic search. At this time, the smallest misspelling leads to no result.

And a paper LR would have a thesaurus organized by categories where words can be browsed. Especially for beginners, this would be a much greater help than the PDFs.

it’s on my homepage:
http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.net/dash.shtml

This is what I first thought and I make things with half a dozen languages/markups. I even had a search field on my local homepage (screenshot if you’re curious) but after trying Dash for merely an hour I was sold. It has nifty features for when you find yourself working in objc. I also enjoy the snippets thing so I can use text expansions without having yet another app running in the background (bye bye, atext.)

One of the coolest multi-language features I think is it’s ability to switch docsets based on what app you had active. If I’ve got Xojo active it searches Xojo, if I have Coda or Chocolat active it defaults to PHP, Xcode to the objc docs. Richard you should give it a try, if you don’t like it just trash it :slight_smile:

[quote=103490:@Eli Ott]When I started using RB some 5 years ago, I was first irritated by the look of the help system. Till today it looks outdated, like a 90s website. I don’t understand why they changed the IDE, but didn’t amend the help system.
[/quote]
Because it had been redone 3 time in 4 years

Thanks Tim.
I already have Dash installed, maybe I will take a second look at it.

Was that search page made in Xojo (Web)?
I would like such a page stored in my dropbox, so that I can search for whatever I want.

Hand coded with love. I’ll personal message you the page to avoid hijacking this thread further.

I don’t like to ask for direction!

I don’t read instructions, till I get it working; with a few parts left over.

However I think it time to ask:

How do you use Dash? I have download some references but all I get to work is the Snippets.

Jim,
Click on Download DocSets and, then download whichever you need :slight_smile:

Have download several. Now what? How so I search?