Language Reference in a pdf file

Is the language reference in a pdf file? I can only find the online version.

Thanks

[quote=234603:@Guy Moriwaki]Is the language reference in a pdf file? I can only find the online version.

Thanks[/quote]
Go to http://developer.xojo.com and click Print, then Download Dev Center as PDF. It’s maybe not quite what you’re looking for but it’s pretty handy.

If you are on Mac, you want to check kapeli.com for Dash, a utility that offers an offline documentation interface for Xojo (and plenty of other languages).

For Windows, see https://zealdocs.org/

Isn’t http://developer.xojo.com the iOS Language Reference ?
(i saw iOS everywhere in the pdf…)
(the string iOS was found in 382 pages / 1,098)

That is why I keep using the docs web site.

Developer is slowly turning into the new framework resource. They are still working on it.
Docs is the old framework, and much more complete. I prefer docs because it’s easier to navigate. The simulated tabs thing on Developer drives me nuts, and someone decided to override my cmd-click for new tab links so turning off simulated tabs is a no-go. ProProfs/HelpIQ has some usability issues. I’m quite glad there’s a Dash docset.

I too prefer classic framework doc, especially because the numerous examples make a world of difference. Often enough, Developer is difficult to make out from a sometimes terse description.

I couldn’t figure out why I liked the old docs, but that’s exactly why. Example code helps so much.

You can click View…Basic on the Developer site toolbar if you don’t want the tabs.

Yeah we’ve been moving a lot of the User Guide content over- and as that wraps up you’ll see more and more examples arriving. We all like having examples with the reference. :slight_smile:

Hi Michel!

I have the old framework in Dash, but I don’t get the new framework. Do you know some way to include new framework in Dash? Where I currently live, Internet is a disaster…

Thx

Yeah. The old LR has examples that have accumulated over 15 years. The new stuff has only been out for about a year at most. More examples will continue to be added, but if there are specific things you think are needed now, create a Feedback case. And remember there are 350+ example projects included with Xojo, so don’t forget to check there.

You may have missed the part where I explained how somewhere along the way someone decided to override cmd-tab and opening links in a new tab with HelpIQ. If you go to basic view, and try to cmd-click to open the link in a new tab you get both tabs with the link opened. This is a common side effect of doing javascript links wrong.

Oh the behavior has since changed! It looks like now no tab is opened, and instead the content is loaded by ajax.
Either way, it’s incredibly un-user-friendly.

I really dislike the documentation in PDF format, makes it awkward to search and the PDF layout isn’t very readable. That is having two columns.

I detest when I have to do IDE scripting as the functions are in the PDF documentation.

+1 would be nice to have the IDE Scripting docs in the Language Reference (or at least a cheat-sheat summary if not the full thing)

The updated IDE Scripting docs are available here:

Keep up the awesome work Paul! As you add examples, could you also add examples of how to use the particular item with an iterator, if it’s appropriate? New devs would find that super handy!

[quote=235416:@Amando Blasco]Hi Michel!

I have the old framework in Dash, but I don’t get the new framework. Do you know some way to include new framework in Dash? Where I currently live, Internet is a disaster…

Thx[/quote]

I tried to download the developer.xojo.com site, but it is structured in such a way that this is impossible (pages simply show as a ProgressWheel). It does not seem possible to print to PDF either, as formatting goes awry.

Unless Xojo makes available a local version of developer.xojo.com, I do not see how anything could go into Dash.

You should file a feature request. I am sure you are not the only one who would need that.

There is a local version of much of the Dev Center content included in the offline local LR DB included with Xojo.

I’m also happy to provide the HTML exports of the Dev Center if someone is itching to try and parse it into Dash.

Right now, Xojo.Core.Dictionary and Xojo.IO.FolderItem both can use an Iterator and have examples on their Ref Guide pages. Is there something else you are referring to?