keyboard actions

Hi Guys,
Does anyone know how to monitor a keyboard action such as if a user is done entering text and it’s done? Currently they have to tap a send button on the screen (sometimes twice, once to make the keyboard disappear). It would be nice if they could send from the keyboard. Any advice would be appreciated.

You can monitor TextChange and inside that event reset a single timer with a period of half a second to one second. When the user stops typing, the timer action retires the keyboard with clearfocus, available from XojoiOSWrapper.

Do any of the iOS libraries handle advanced keyboard things?

How does one get a “Done” button keyboard with Xojo iOS?
Is there a way to change the label on that button in Xojo iOS?

why not do what many iOS apps do… click anywhere outside the keyboard, and it resigns firstreponder?
and if you happen to click inside ANOTHER text field, the focus moves, and the keyboard remains active.

unfortunatly I cannot post any code that would illustrate this, :slight_smile:

Basically what XojoiOSWrapper does is setFirstResponder and resignFirstResponder, but I wrapped that in Xojo methods.

I deeply regret Xojo never found a few minutes, or failed to see the interest of having this very basic property implemented.

and so many other “basic” (ie. standard) properties, attributes, controls and methods

You know, as much as I regret that so many basic properties are not exposed, I still understand that it is a whole lot more fun to create an entirely new control with bells and whistles such as what has been released in 2016R2. Somehow it is tedious to go back for small things.

Especially when it is someone else’s code.

[quote=280192:@Tim Parnell]Do any of the iOS libraries handle advanced keyboard things?

How does one get a “Done” button keyboard with Xojo iOS?
Is there a way to change the label on that button in Xojo iOS?[/quote]

Yes, iOSLib has an iOSLibTextField which exposes a whole bunch of properties including ReturnKeyType which can be set to one of the IOS standard constants such as “Next” or “Done”, etc. I use this for my Login view so that the keyboard has a Next button on the username textfield and a Done button on the password textfield.