Issues Building on Device with Newer Versions of Xojo

When attempting to debug on my iPad, I can only do so with Xojo Release 2023r2; using 2023r3.1 or 2023r4 fails every time.

Both of the newer versions will debug just fine using the simulator, but not on the iPad hardware.

Is this a known issue? I assume there’s nothing wrong with my Apple developer profile since 2023r2 builds without issue.

I’d really like to use the newer versions of Xojo so I can use the MobileTextField’s FocusLost event, but having on-device debugging is a must. (the app needs to support the Apple Pencil)

Some additional details:

• Latest MacOS, fully updated --14.3.1 (23D60))
  • Latest XCode, fully updated – Version 15.2 (15C500b)
  • iPad is (intentionally) running iOS 16.7.5
  • iPad is attached to the Mac running Xojo via a USB cable (trying to debug over Wifi throws the same error)

Any tips on how to get Xojo to debug on hardware (an iPad) with newer versions than Xojo 2023r2?

Is this somehow Apple-profile/XCode issue even though everything works as expected with 2023r2?

Appreciate any and all help,
Anthony

I have had this issue sporadically with 2023r3.1 but quitting Xojo and restarting usually resolves it. I also had this issue with 2023r4 and was unable to resolve it but the good news is that it has been fixed in 2024r1 so either jump into the beta or wait for it to ship. :slight_smile:

ipad issue should be known to xojo. You may try the beta to see if that works for you?

• Are you logged in Xcode? (using your Apple Developer Account)

• Have you accepted any pending update to Apple Developer contracts / agreements?

• Do you have the correct combo of Certificates / Profiles for the app you intend to run?

• Is the Wi-Fi enabled in the iPad? (in addition to on macOS, even if the iPad is connected via USB) Xcode 15 requires it.

• Have you accepted the dialog that is shown on the iPad about “trusting this Mac”?

• When you open Xcode > Devices and Simulators, is the iPad available for installing / run-debug apps on it?

You can try this:

• In Xcode > Devices and Simulators click on the connected device (iPad) and select the option “Unpair Device” from the contextual menu.

• Once completed, disconnect the iPad and connect it again and pair it.

Also, as pointed by @DerkJ , you can give a try to the available 2024r1 builds in the Testers channel on the Forum. We made some changes… and maybe that ones could help in your scenario.

First of all, I very much appreciate the suggestions/advice @Javier_Menendez @JasonTait @DerkJ

I did try with the latest beta and had the exact same error as shown.

Restarting Xojo and/or my computer doesn’t fix the issue. (I’ve also tried clearing Xojo caches in various builds)

@Javier_Menendez - I will try your suggestion of :slight_smile:

• un-pairing and re-pairing the device in Devices & Simulators in Xcode
  • Disconnecting it from the computer
  • Reconnecting it
  • Pairing it again

I’ll report back the results, successful or otherwise.

Thanks much,
Anthony

With build 62274 (from this AM) after trying all the steps above, still getting this error:

This is with a new, default iOS project. No plugins installed except the included Xojo plugins.

I am able to debug a simple “Hello World!” swift app on the same iPad without issue (via Xcode)

Any other suggestions?

Forgot to mention, I can still successfully debug on hardware using Xojo 2023r2, however, 2023r2 doesn’t have the FocusLost event for MobileTextField controls which is an event I could really use…

Again, thanks to all for their help! :slight_smile:

https://documentation.xojo.com/resources/system_requirements_for_current_release.html#ios-apps

1 Like

I setup an additional iPad with the latest version of iOS (17.3.1).

Still the same error with every version of Xojo newer than 2023r2 (including the latest Beta)

I believe i still have the same issue, i’m testing it now.
Ok the iPad i tried is and 2016 iPad Pro, that has currently maxed out at version 16.7.5 and is not capable of ipad os 17.x

That’s unfortunate. Having the ability to debug on older devices was very helpful. I wonder if that’s a Xojo problem or an Apple problem.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Planned Apple obsolescence?

Updated details:

• Latest MacOS, fully updated --14.3.1 (23D60))
  • Latest XCode, fully updated – Version 15.2 (15C500b)
  • iPad running latest iOS 17.3.1
  • iPad is attached to the Mac running Xojo via a USB cable (trying to debug over Wifi throws the same error)

Still seeing the “Compilation of [APP NAME] failed.” dialog when trying to debug on hardware.

This occurs with a blank/new iOS project in both the latest production and beta versions of Xojo.

The beta version has no plugins other than those included with the installer.

I’d really like to be able to debug on hardware; it’s a pretty key aspect of developing for iOS since the UX is quite different when using an actual device.

What are next steps/best practices for attempting to root cause & fix this issue?

Thanks again to all,
Anthony

Hi all,

I was able to get the latest Xojo production build debugging on my iPad (with latest iOS version)

Steps I took:

• created a new “iOS App” project in Xcode with default settings
  • saving this app
  • attempting to debug this new app on hardware (my iPad) in Xcode

This caused an alert I’d never seen before to appear in Xcode saying something along the lines of:

“[iPadName] is not a registered device for this developer account, would you like to register it?” (apologies, I don’t remember the exact text of the dialog)

After this the Xcode app launched

I then attempted to debug on iPad hardware with Xojo.

This time I got an “allow debugging/trust” dialog on the iPad (again, sorry don’t remember the exact text) and hit “yes” and entered my iOS device’s passcode.

After this, I’ve been able to successfully run debug app on iPad hardware. :slightly_smiling_face:

This all feels a bit “voodoo” but maybe someone who has a deeper understanding will be able to glean the root cause and provide more concise steps or identify a possible bug/missing case in Xojo so it can either fix the problem or better prompt the user on how to fix the issue.

I’d say the closest thing to a solution was @Tim_Parnell 's pointing out the iOS version requirement for debugging (must be iOS 17.0 or greater), so I’m marking it as the solution.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions & help!
Anthony