iOS and dual architecture builds

In light of the Apple message that we received today, will Xojo’s iOS support create fat binaries, or will it be 64bit only?

It best not be 64bit only. Not all iphone/ipad devices and iOS combinations are currently 64 bit

They will be fat binaries.

Good answer :slight_smile:

So as long as you can get your iOS app “in” before February 1st then you wont be waiting on Xojo for 64bit support. But come June 1st you wont be able to update the app unless Xojo adds iOS 64 bit support by then. Do I have that right?

It would need to be approved and on sale for Feb 1st (not just submitted) but otherwise, yes, you have it right.

iPad2, iPad-Retina, iPhone 4s are 32 bit with iOS8.1
all other devices (5s, 6, 6+) are 64bit

One wonders if XOJO will bother keeping 32-bit around for Mac OS X once they add 64-bit. If they make 10.7 the minimum for the IDE and compiled apps, then there is no real reason to keep dual builds. Older customers can be addressed with the current builds of XOJO.

It is already 10.7 minimum. So indeed 64 bit all the way can be fine.

But for iOS, it is quite a different proposition, since there are today older devices still in use.

Apple does recommend both : [quote]we recommend using the default Xcode build setting of “Standard architectures” to build a single binary with both 32-bit and 64-bit code. [/quote]

While I would personally love to drop 32-bit OS X builds, the functionality will exist for some time to allow users with declares, plugins, or other unique circumstances to migrate over time.

Except for the 32 bit devices running iOS 7 like the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and iPhone 5C
Thats a lot of devices

[quote=153254:@Norman Palardy]Except for the 32 bit devices running iOS 7 like the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and iPhone 5C
Thats a lot of devices[/quote]

I should have refrained from responding to a post about Mac OS X (10.7) highjacking an iOS thread. My remark was ONLY about Mac OS X.

I did say just the same as you about iOS :

[quote]But for iOS, it is quite a different proposition, since there are today older devices still in use.

Apple does recommend both :

we recommend using the default Xcode build setting of “Standard architectures” to build a single binary with both 32-bit and 64-bit code.[/quote]