Internet Access During Sessions

@Dana Brown,

Thanks for setting this new channel up.

For those of us whose presentations include demos that need remote access, is it safe to assume that we’ll have connectivity? Or should we have a Plan B?

hotel internet is notoriously crappy when you least need it to be
regardless of what they commit to

always have a plan B

Today it is pretty easy to tether on a smart phone in case of failing WiFi.

any network transfer is bad when you have 100 people around you with 200+ devices.

For reliability, during my sessions I’ve always tethered to my phone for Internet rather than rely on hotel wifi.

I’m pre-recording some normally-online interactions as video so I can still show and talk about them regardless of the available connection/speed.

I did a presentation for Christian in London 2012 on cloud databases. While everyone was enjoying lunch I was running around like a loony finding a mobile phone store where I could buy an internet dongle. The hotel connection was that bad.

That was a fraught 30 minutes I can tell you! :frowning:

Plan B - get a plan B!!!

I’ll be running a web server locally on my laptop.

ohhhh … sounds like a fun DDOS target :stuck_out_tongue:

My presentation is ~50% demo, so I hope this works properly… Maybe I’ll ask the attendees to turn off their devices… Can’t use my phone because Canadian SIM… may buy a US SIM just to be sure :slight_smile:

Sure you can - just make sure you sign up for a roaming data plan.
Its what I do for my Telus phone and never have an issue using the personal hot spot.

[quote=286562:@Norman Palardy]Sure you can - just make sure you sign up for a roaming data plan.
Its what I do for my Telus phone and never have an issue using the personal hot spot.[/quote]

Oh I know I can pay extra to do this. I just don’t want to :wink:

There will be internet there, though, to be clear. We just don’t know how well it will work when you get 100 people in the room. :slight_smile: