Intermittent Internet, app goes offline quick

We have a web app working fine for years, with many updates in a dedicated windows server with a hosting provider.
Lately the internet connection (200 Mbps) at the office has been intermittent, it seems to go for half to one second many times a day, they are still fixing it.
Problem is that the Xojo web application shows “application has gone offline” and basically kicks the users out, and they have to log in again, which is annoying and sometimes interrupt processes like taking a payment or updating customer information.
When the users test another website, they are sure internet is working because at that point it returned. From another location with good internet, the app never goes offline, since it has the flag for not doing so.

QUESTION: Is there a way I can keep the connection if a short internet interruption occurs?

Is two page standalone application with data fields to fill in, but is really problematic lately with this issue. Everything else works in the server, including the regular php, html, javascript apps. The same app has been working for years, with minor monthly updates.

Xojo 2019r3.1 App: standalone, using sTunnel to reverse proxy to https in the local IIS
Server: windows 2016 dedicated, updated

Thanks, J

Have you looked at WebApplication.SessionTimeout ?

Yes, thanks. It is set to 10 seconds, and AutoQuit = false.
Prior to setting AutoQuit upon program start, it disconnected the user after some time without activity. However, since I set that to false, the app stays open all day even without mouse, keyboard activity or even with the computer in screen saver, either mac or pc

Am going to increase sessionTimeout to 60 just in case.

Whoa… 10 seconds?

The default for that property is 180 seconds (3 minutes) which is what most server-side languages use. What is it that you are trying to accomplish with such a small value?

Is the default value. It actually is ignored if autoquit is false.

From documentation:

We don’t expect the users to connect, disconnect frequently. They are connected all day long. This property, according to Xojo docs, is the time AFTER the user closed the browser or disconnected.
We are connected 24/7, but the internet provider is having trouble and we have signal interruptions that last from 0.5 to 1.5 seconds. If the app assumes my user disconnected, 10 seconds is time to spare to keep any session variable in memory, at least in theory.

Update: as expected, increasing sessionTimeout didn’t work with any value, tried 60,100,180,360.
Test is: Put wireless off and use only ethernet. With the web application working , unplug the lan cable for 1 second and then reconnect it fast. Application goes offline immediately.

You are confusing terms. App.SessionTimeout has nothing to do with autoquit (unless you are leaking sessions) and the number you quoted from the documentation is the default number when running the app in debug mode, not when running as a built app.

AutoQuit is whether or not the App itself will quit when the session count reaches zero.

[quote=497315:@Julie Landeros]We don’t expect the users to connect, disconnect frequently. They are connected all day long. This property, according to Xojo docs, is the time AFTER the user closed the browser or disconnected.
We are connected 24/7, but the internet provider is having trouble and we have signal interruptions that last from 0.5 to 1.5 seconds. If the app assumes my user disconnected, 10 seconds is time to spare to keep any session variable in memory, at least in theory.[/quote]
Unfortunately, It largely depends on what users are doing to get back to the app. If the user navigates away from the app and then clicks the Back button, the app will probably reconnect just fine, but on the other hand if the user refreshes their browser, a brand new session will be served every time.

My guess is that your users fit into the latter group with the scenario you are describing.

If you are mac based, the tool Network Link Conditioner is very handy - you can use it to simulate bad network situations (high latency, dropped packets, DNS delay…) It’s part of XCode’s Additional Tools - see https://developer.apple.com/download/more/?q=Additional%20Tools

Thanks Michael, yes, these web apps are used mostly on Mac, but no need to simulate bad network, it is bad until Spectrum provider fixes it. Problems are identical on the PCs.

Greg, I can only say, sorry wrong guess. Thanks but am not trying to initiate a “stack overflow you-are-wrong style” discussion on web technologies and users knowledge. Just came here to look for a pinpoint solution to my well defined problem.

My webapp does not, fwiw. To test this I logged in to my app, hit my YouTube-bookmark, the YouTube page loaded, then I hit the back button and landed on the login page again. TimeOut is set to 15 minutes.

Okay, but which timeout?

WebApplication.Timeout = Number of seconds after the last session ends that the app itself will quit if AutoQuit = True.

WebApplication.SessionTimeout = Number of seconds after a user navigates away from your app that the session is closed and resources freed.

WebSession.TimeOut = Number of seconds a user can be idle before the Session.TimedOut event fires.

@Maximilian Tyrtania , it sounds like you’re using the last one, but expecting it to work like the second one. This is why I was pointing out the confusion surrounding these properties earlier.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up, I may in fact have confused the meaning of those settings.