Inno Setup Problem

I’ve run into a very confusing error using Inno Setup to compile an installation executable…

Using Windows 8.1 Professional and Inno Setup Compiler 5.5.4 (a) using a script that has been used for a long time - it also executes well on my other Windows 7 PC.

The compiler proceeds well going through all the files and is building the output file on the desktop. At the point where it gets to Compressing the Setup program executable, the compiler aborts with an error stating “The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.”

I have shutdown and restarted the PC and immediately run the setup script but consistently get the same error.

This is a new PC but i am relatively sure that I successfully used the compiler in the recent past.

It seems that file that is “in use” might be the output file being generated, but I can’t tell for sure.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this error ?

Thanks in advance.

Ron Bower

Turn off your antivirus and try compiling. If that works, then create a directory just for builds and add an exception for that directory.

Thanks, Tim, that was it !! Apparently some recent installation also included a McAfee Live Scan process.

For the benefit of anyone else getting the same error: I have seen this behaviour sometimes if I had an Explorer window open showing the target folder. Possibly (can’t recall) if the file is selected. (Windows may be trying to preview it)
Closing the explorer windows avoided the issue there for me.