index field and object to table mapping

Hi,

I have user defined objects which i store in a MySQL database. One approach i use for this is to have the user defined objects essentially be a “front” end to the MSQL database. So, for example a User.Insert(aName) would insert a new row in the user table. The user table has two columns a UserID which is an autoincrement index field, and UserName VarChar.

inside of the user object i also include a UserID property. I am now wondering what the best way is to ensure that the UserId property in the User object is the one assigned by autoincrement when a newly user is included.

Right now i am basically writing an insert and then immediately reading the record out again (by name), so that i retrieve the user id. But this is likely bad practice since names may not be unique.

Should i create app defined IDs and use them instead of auto generated indexes, or in addition to them? What is best practice?

thank you,

Dan

Found the Answer!

Thank you for BKeenly’s ActiveDatabase project that I now noticed. Reviewing the code I found that there is a MySQLCommunityServer.GetInsertID property, that returns the last incremented ID!

Dan