Impressed - Dash Docs updated..

I was building one of my Linux apps as a release 64 bit this evening when my DASH popped up a nice message telling me that my Xojo docset has been updated to 2015r3.

That was quick. Who ever did it, Thanks.

Gary Pettet
Gave him a bit of info about how the data was organized and he wrote an app to convert it

Thank you @Garry Pettet

Indeed. I love dash

I’m not a huge Dash fan, but having the Xojo documentation in different formats is very cool. Thanks, @Garry Pettet !

I am the opposite. I use Dash for EVERYTHING. it is one of my first apps I install on any machine I am going to work on for longer than a few hours. I can find/use it faster than I can the Xojo docs themselves (not offense @Paul Lefebvre). And I use Dash for not only Xojo but Perl, PostgreSQL/MySQL/SQLite, PHP, Python, SQL, HTML, CSS, etc. it comes in very handy for that.

Now I know that any given tool is not right for everyone.

Fair enough. I’ve just never spent much time using it.

Certain things I like about it
And with the split between the two doc sets it kind of hides that split

You’re all welcome. Dash rocks :slight_smile:

[quote=222762:@scott boss]I am the opposite. I use Dash for EVERYTHING. it is one of my first apps I install on any machine I am going to work on for longer than a few hours. I can find/use it faster than I can the Xojo docs themselves (not offense @Paul Lefebvre). And I use Dash for not only Xojo but Perl, PostgreSQL/MySQL/SQLite, PHP, Python, SQL, HTML, CSS, etc. it comes in very handy for that.

Now I know that any given tool is not right for everyone.[/quote]
I use Alfred. I press command-space, type “xojo folderitem” and boom, doc in the browser from the official source. I setup shortcuts for php, pg, feedback, and a few others.

Not saying one is better than the other, just sharing my method in case it gives anybody ideas.

I personally did not like Dash. I started to setup Dash doc sets for my controls and open source projects, but it had some issues with rendering my html that rendered them useless.

BTW. Is there a dash docset for new framework from developer.xojo.com?

Perhaps I’ve missed something

Thanks

if gary converted the local help its all in there already

Hm, it does not find new items from the new framework

no idea why that might be
the local lr has them in it and if thats what gary used they should be there

I dont use dash so I have no idea what is in its help doc set

I use and love Dash. I think I found it from a post on this forum BTW… but AFAIK the new framework’s docs aren’t in there. Would be very nice if it somehow got in there.

At least some of the new framework items are there. If I search for “MD5”, I see both the old stuff as well as a new “Crypto.MD5” entry:

(though when I search for SQLiteDatabase I only get the classic one in the results - the one from the iOS framework is not in Dash, as far as I can find.)

Crypto.MD5 is not new framework. It was added a few years ago. I believe the global MD5 is now just an alias for the crypto one.

[quote=222762:@scott boss]I am the opposite. I use Dash for EVERYTHING. it is one of my first apps I install on any machine I am going to work on for longer than a few hours. I can find/use it faster than I can the Xojo docs themselves (not offense @Paul Lefebvre). And I use Dash for not only Xojo but Perl, PostgreSQL/MySQL/SQLite, PHP, Python, SQL, HTML, CSS, etc. it comes in very handy for that.

Now I know that any given tool is not right for everyone.[/quote]

That’s the same view as me. I bounce all over the place with Dash. It does have some shortcomings but usually down to the docsets themselves rather than the app. :slight_smile:

Another great use for Dash is the built in snippets. Sort of a random feature to be included in a docset manager, but it’s a nice touch. I ended up just using Dash instead of the other more full-featured shortcut utilities.