If the shortcut is Ctrl++ how come I don't have to press shift

For the Mac MenuItem FontBigger the shortcut for FontBigger is Ctrl++.

On Mozilla FireFox the shortcut is Ctrl++ , but I don’t have to press the shift key.

How do I do this in XOJO?

With what do you have problems? Doing the menu short cut? Simply enter a + for the short cut. Or the implementation? Which OS? What have you tried and what isn’t working?

Sorry that I left out the OS. Windows is the OS.

Yes I have that as the shortcut along with menumodifier, but not AlternateMenuModifier.
My problem is that shortcut doesn’t fire the menuitem. I don’t know if that means I need a ShiftKey in the shortcut.
If one uses the “+” key on the normal keyboard (not the numeric keypad) one has to press the ShiftKey.

I used Mozilla because they don’t need one.

I don’t understand how they can get it without the ShiftKey

Maybe because they say it’s Ctrl + + but internally they use Ctrl + =

Thanks Paul. My confusion as far as XOJO is concerned is:
I have that shortcut and if I press that Ctrl++ along with the shiftKey I don’t get anything.
How come it doesn’t work?

I also understand how to get that internally.

Wrong, It is Cmd-+. As with every keyboard shortcut, you press the Command Key and at the same time the + key.

Same apply to Windows with the Control Key (Control and + pressed together).

Karen advice is the right answer.

To add insult to injury, did you add a Menu Handler for that Menu ?
Did you have set any debug code in that MenuHandler ?

Or do you simply want to understand how to issue two + characters with the Control key ?

[quote=488908:@Arthur Gabhart]Thanks Paul. My confusion as far as XOJO is concerned is:
I have that shortcut and if I press that Ctrl++ along with the shiftKey I don’t get anything.
How come it doesn’t work?[/quote]

Perhaps because the real shortcut is Cmd - =

They just describe it as + to give the idea of something getting bigger.

If that’s the case, then I’d agree it’s confusing, so it should be made to work with or without the Shift key.

Here’s a few things to consider. First off, the + on the main keyboard and the + on the number pad are not the same when it comes to menu shortcuts in Xojo apps. Specifying one will not enable both to work. This means that specifying a menu shortcut of CTRL+ + on the main keyboard area will require the Shift key.

Interestingly, the same is not true for the CTRL+ - shortcut. The - key in both keyboard area will work as if they are the same key.

[quote=488916:@Dale Arends]Here’s a few things to consider. First off, the + on the main keyboard and the + on the number pad are not the same when it comes to menu shortcuts in Xojo apps. Specifying one will not enable both to work. This means that specifying a menu shortcut of CTRL+ + on the main keyboard area will require the Shift key.

Interestingly, the same is not true for the CTRL+ - shortcut. The - key in both keyboard area will work as if they are the same key.[/quote]
Thanks Dale. I hadn’t realized that about the number pad being different. I knew the enter key and return key are different.

My problem is on Windows. BTW The Cmd++ works fine.
Any way I press that combination of keys, including the shift key, nothing fires. Nothing.
Maybe it’s just my computer?

All this conversation is lacking an information: what keyboard layout are you talking about?
Once you’ll solve the question, if ever, you’ll have no guarantee it’ll work on other layouts…

My understanding of shortcuts is that, outside of language and other technicalities, they should work.
I would think the only thing that could be a problem is if it was a non-Qwerty and even that should be irrelevant.

I am also asking because everything else I do with shortcuts works.

[quote=488938:@Arthur Gabhart]My understanding of shortcuts is that, outside of language and other technicalities, they should work.
I would think the only thing that could be a problem is if it was a non-Qwerty and even that should be irrelevant.

I am also asking because everything else I do with shortcuts works.[/quote]
I guess Windows and Mac don’t work the same. One may require the menu item shortcut to include “shift” literally for the shift key to be included while the other just “knows” the mapping of the symbol and expects the “shift” key without being set explicitly in the menu item.
I seem to recall having figured out this difference in the past, making me avoiding symbols for shortcuts. IIRC, Windows would handle the key press only if the specified modifiers match the ones pressed on the keyboard (so “shift”+key would never work for keys where you must press shift to change the key; only symbols on the keypad, along with the “shift” key would work). Not sure it’s still true.

Maybe that’s the answer.