IDLE small fonts

Hello everyone!

As some very few of you remember, the first CRT or TV base
monitor for computers where 40 column by 20 o 25 lines.

In time, the sizes of screens enlarge and the number of charaters (dots or pixels increase), fitting more in huge virtual screens of 4k, with tiny fonts. I kept 1920x1080, which is sufficient for most of my work.

The XOJO idle allow for the code font to be enlarged good enough and setting colors fine. The navigation, menus and libraries keep the small size.

In myold 2016r3 PRO version allowed me to increase the size of IDLE fonts, not without the containers (text box) keeping the original size, therefore, trimming the words. I could live with it!

I just bought the new 2024r1 PRO release, this after waiting since 2016 for the android version to find out that, at least i cannot find where to increase the size of the IDLE. Nor in options or navigation, as somebody suggested in a thread here.

To the problem adds, not only larger screens with smaller text, but older programmers aging eyes (67 yo)

After this long narrative, the main question for me now: where and how can i increase the size of the font in the elements of the IDLE?

Thanks in advance for the help

What is the IDLE?

The IDE.

thanks
right, Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Xojo, not for Python.

This is probably not the answer you’re looking for, but macOS and Windows have Accessibility features that allow you to temporarily zoom-in and enlarge areas of your screen to see something better.

On Windows, see: Use Magnifier to make things on the screen easier to see - Microsoft Support

On macOS, see: Zoom in and out on what’s onscreen on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

I’m on macOS and found this useful at first when aligning control boundaries in the Layout Editor. Then as I get older too (63), I find my eyes are not as good as they used to be, so I sometimes zoom in to read text as well. I’ve even assigned the zoom features to dedicated function keys, e.g., F7, F8, F9.

And yes, I think some text in the Xojo IDE could be made larger and more readable too.

It sounds like you need to set the scaling factor for your display. If you do this then everything would be proportionately larger. It’s a bit like the retina settings on macOS. I can’t remember where the setting is in Windows but there is one. For example don’t run a 4K screen in 1920 mode, that makes big blocky pixels. Set the scale factor for the display to 1.6 or 2. The base resolution stays the same but everything is displayed 1.6 or 2 times larger. Fonts, graphics etc.

Great Scott, good idea, i will try so, specially the shortcuts with function keys sound great.

Thank yo!

1 Like

Thank you again Scott
I just try it, and, until XOJO apply changes fast enough (it is an old issue), it is a good solution. I work with 3 monitors, i just lost one for been able to see details that in the normal layout are unreadable, for me.

Thanks again, and i hope that contrary to what happened with android that i had to wait 8 years, this issue that is old enough is solved soon.

Regards

1 Like

at windows and mac os u can usually set a screen and zoom size that everything like menus and desktop looks ok. disadvantage you lost the resolution.
and simple age-appropriate reading glasses will help enormous.

for 4k you need minimum 32 Zoll Monitor.

for apps/ui made in xojo i choose font size to 4mm.

sure, font at the largest size, still to small, but have to do it… thanks

although the best solution finally
thanks!

1 Like