IDE wish list

What is your RAM and OS version? Mavericks especially caused some issues with swapping ram to disk causing Xojo (and all other programs) to become slow and require a periodic restart or my entire machine. On Yosemite this has not yet been an issue for me.

Happens on both, Mavericks and Yosemite. On my MacBook I have 8 GB and on Mac Pro I have 12 GB. It’s not system wide slowness, only Xojo slows down.

I run Xojo all day every day (literally) on a rMBP with 16Gb and an SSD and I don’t ever see what I would describe as “slowness”

I had the slowness after awhile pre-2014 2.1, now I can run it forever and never really have an issue. My system didn’t really change, so Xojo must have. :slight_smile:

Well, I’m not the only one. <https://xojo.com/issue/32599>

I have now temporarily removed all 3rd party plugins to see if the problem goes away.

Is there’s a difference between Step and Step In ?

When in the debugger, they seems to act the same…

[quote=139459:@Emile Schwarz]Is there’s a difference between Step and Step In ?

When in the debugger, they seems to act the same…[/quote]

Where did you see step in ? I know step For/Next loops, I know In when using For Each, but not Step In. Would you be so kind to post an example code ?

In the IDE menu Project and then submenu Step there are Into, Over and Out menu options. They are also available on the debug tab toolbar when running in debug mode.

Oh. Debugger step. Sorry. I thought for next step.

Emile : it is explained page 55 of the User Guide-Fundamentals.pdf

Working on a dictionary by the way?

To be able to open a second window of code.

Since the code in Xojo get split up at different places, sometimes when figuring things out a better overview would make it easier to find bugs or understand what happens when the code runs. It is a great help to be able to see the code that triggered the second code side-by-side. It could be a read only extra window.

Sometimes I make a screenshot, as a work around, open it and lay it by the side of the IDE window. It works, but it is very inconvenient and it is limited to what fits the screen. This is especially true vertically.

New Workspace ?

Huh?

[quote=139451:@Thomas White]Well, I’m not the only one. <https://xojo.com/issue/32599>
I have now temporarily removed all 3rd party plugins to see if the problem goes away.[/quote]
I’ve seen the case & Aarons supposition about how Xojo handles classes in modules vs how REALStudio handles them has more to do with fixing issues in the compiler - not the IDE itself. The IDE mostly doesn’t care about whether you have scoping correct or not as its NOT the compiler (it only needs to know a small bit about scope resolution so it can try & get things correct for Autocomplete)

A large number of plugins may contribute since they are all loaded in memory & when you type the IDE has to search them all to see if something should be autocompleted. That could contribute to the issue.

The call graph posted shows Xojo waiting on the OS - for what I’m not entirely sure yet as I just quickly scanned it.

I dont tend to use many plugins at all - and I don’t experience that so unloading plugins you’re not using might have a positive impact. Even when I do load all of MBS and Einhugurs I don’t see this so its hard to know what is causing it.

If projects are on volumes that the OS may have spun down then its possible that could impact things as I know there are instances where the IDE goes back to disk more than it should - we’ve been working to reduce those. But Aarons sample isn’t showing that from what I can tell.
Richards samples seem to show something of interest but until I have a chance to look into it more thoroughly I can’t be sure what. or if, it may be indicative of the cause.

I mean, do you use a dictionary somewhere in your code? I had this terrible slowdown in Windows pinned down to a big dictionary I was building. Adding a new value pair caused an immediate slowdown. I had about 60 values in the dictionary.

Yes, but I then get the whole huge window with menus, side panels and all. I guess if I get myself a higher res. screen it would work.

Right clicking on an item to view its code, preferably in a new window, would have been perfect. I think. Quick and easy.

Also some kind of automatic coloring scheme of parentheses to easier get them right in long equations would have been a great help. Maybe colored underlining, that changes color for each level.

Just an idea.

Hm. Maybe I should write a small program for myself that does just that. After all it is pretty easy to copy and paste the equation back and forth into RB Xojo after finished writing or editing it.

[quote=139600:@Roger Jönsson]Yes, but I then get the whole huge window with menus, side panels and all. I guess if I get myself a higher res. screen it would work.

Right clicking on an item to view its code, preferably in a new window, would have been perfect. I think. Quick and easy.[/quote]

Neither quick nor easy since if yo want to edit then it’d better be a full blown editor & …
The appearance may be “quick & easy” - implementing it not so much.
The reality is making a new workspace & making it so you can view the same project in as many as you want simultaneously is next to free the way things work.
FYI - You can hide a lot of the UI on those secondary windows so its more code less clutter.
View > Hide Toolbar
View > Hide Tab Bar

Well, I don’t think the “quick and easy” window would even have to editable. Just a right klick to see what’s inside, in a new window that I can lay beside the main IDE window (which stays untouched and in place). That would help (me) a lot, I think.

I’ve just a simple one, just for convenience while programming: the font of help-text below the code-editor is so small. Ok, I could go for an extra pair of glasses, but so far nobody has disagreed with me. So IDE-team, why not giving away just a present in the next release to all those not in their twenties anymore. :slight_smile: