IDE wish list

It would be great to have a brief description of the property or method you have scrolled to in the object property lister. While the need for this functionality may be negated by more experienced users, I find myself selecting a property or method, then going to the help file over and over. An example of not having the vaguest idea what something did was in the segmented control where “SegmentedControl.items.Operator_Subscript” appeared in the list.To this point in time I had never heard of the Operator_Subscript
property. Although this is not really a wish list item but more of an IDE bug. I am pretty sure that there is a good reason that Xojo Inc can’t implement this, but why do you need to click on selected code to make the cut,paste and copy items available?

My wishes:
<https://xojo.com/issue/28875>
<https://xojo.com/issue/33409>
<https://xojo.com/issue/33413>
And native support for a SourceList.

My Wish:

Case #31338
(Fix: Use a custom segmentedcontrol on OS X just like you (Xojo) do on Windows.)

Other wishes:

• Generics
  • Better Auto-complete. (Look at Xamarin)
  • Better project browser. (Other IDE’s, for example, you can drop any type of file into the project browser and call it in code.)
  • Native GIT support. (Would be a blessing for open source projects. You still need a license to build, FYI.)
  • Global Bug Check button. (Why Xojo, Why?)
  • Anonymus forum. (Why is Xojo the only programming forum that requires a real-names policy?)

I want Xojo to keep it’s uniqueness while wanting it to be as powerful or more powerful than other IDEs.

I can’t see feedback.
But the thing that currently gets me really annoyed is when I have several tabs open, and while Im in one tab, I select an object , method or property, and instead of using the current tab, it switches me back to a previous tab and replaces the contents.

Still wish I had a popover in debug mode to show the current value of a variable. (If I scroll the variable panes so I can see something beginning with W, and then step, the variable pane scrolls back to the As again…
Break on variable = value
Break on variable changed
Watches so that I can see global and local variables that I need to see without drilling backwards and forwards through object hierarchy.

Maybe I missed it but I haven’t spotted a keyboard ‘step’ option. Right now I have to keep clicking a toolbar icon.

(And these may have been addressed: Im using 2013 edition: 2014 is no use to me as it doesn’t compile for OS X 10.6)

[quote=138476:@Jeff Tullin]Iaybe I missed it but I haven’t spotted a keyboard ‘step’ option. Right now I have to keep clicking a toolbar icon.
[/quote]
Its there and has been since day 1
Look in the Project Menu > Step and there’s the short cuts
It’s also mentioned in the Users Guide

My wife will tell you I’m the same with my car keys… :slight_smile:

I can see them now.
Why I didn’t go into the sub menu , I have no idea. I scanned the Project menu and didn’t see Step over listed, so started clicking the icon and kept doing it because it worked.

Shift Apple and O together???
OK… then I’ll scope creep. :slight_smile:
I was expecting the shortcut be a one-key option like a function key.

[quote=138476:@Jeff Tullin]I can’t see feedback.
But the thing that currently gets me really annoyed is when I have several tabs open, and while Im in one tab, I select an object , method or property, and instead of using the current tab, it switches me back to a previous tab and replaces the contents. [/quote]

I posted about this issue in April. (Note: Video doesn’t exist anymore) Of course, no one from Xojo responded. That “feature” is here to stay. Get used to “features” not getting fixed for a number of years.

Are the IDE bugs/problems so hard to fix:

<https://xojo.com/issue/29897>
<https://xojo.com/issue/29555>

I don’t like the icons, but I find them preferable to the 3 finger combinations…very taxing.

Yep, just like any other development tool. Some things that annoyed me in VB6 for years, never got fixed.

[quote=138489:@Jeff Tullin]My wife will tell you I’m the same with my car keys… :slight_smile:

I can see them now.
Why I didn’t go into the sub menu , I have no idea. I scanned the Project menu and didn’t see Step over listed, so started clicking the icon and kept doing it because it worked.

Shift Apple and O together???
OK… then I’ll scope creep. :slight_smile:
I was expecting the shortcut be a one-key option like a function key.[/quote]

SpaceBar :wink:

If you’re running Mac OS you can change the key combos with System Preferences :slight_smile:

On Windows most of the time, but I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks.

my biggest wish today is Retina support.

But Xojo is the most noticeable of the bunch :wink:

You’ll be the first to know when I can’t get my job done. :wink:

Amen! I can name at least 3 annoying bugs/quirks with VB6 that messed with my production that MS never fixed and never will, obviously. At least with Xojo issues will probably (eventually?) get fixed.

My wish is I wouldn’t have to restart Xojo constantly just to be able to use it. For some reason at some point it just slows down and typing becomes a nightmare.

Windows or Mac? I used to have that problem before 2014r2.1, but works great on Windows now.

Mac.