IDE Just got slow for some reason?

My IDE was working great but has now started to slow down significantly to the point of exasperation.
Any Typical Workarounds or solutions to this?

Mac OS X Mojave.
2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB
SSHD (160 Gig Free)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750 1GB
Xojo 2018 Release 3
Xojo 2019 Release 1 being downloaded as I type.

It’s a point of contention for some, but I’ve given up on doing development in Xojo on Mojave. By stepping back to High Sierra, everything is much smoother.

If you have the time, check the Xojo footprint with Activity Monitor (in Applications/Utilities) and pay specific attention to the memory used. I’ve found that memory floats around 2.1GB under High Sierra, but under Mojave, it could sometimes push north of 4GB through normal edit session use. Especially pay attention to “Compressed Memory”.

Auto-complete and view switching (i.e. selecting a different item in the tree or changing tabs) have been slow for me. I haven’t had time to investigate, compare with older versions, and file a feedback request. At times it’s pretty annoying and feels like it’s slowing down my work. It also seems to get better and worse for no clear reason (i.e. same projects open), though at best I would still describe it as “sluggish.”

I didn’t think to try High Sierra. I would not want to move my main MBP back, but I have a Hackintosh that’s still on High Sierra that might be worth testing out, even if it’s just to support a feedback request.

There’s so much I love about Xojo. But I have to say that even after all this time I’m not crazy about the ‘new’ IDE. It still slows me down and interrupts me in aways that the old one never did.

[quote=435087:@Brian O’Brien]My IDE was working great but has now started to slow down significantly to the point of exasperation.
Any Typical Workarounds or solutions to this?[/quote]
Yep.

[quote=435087:@Brian O’Brien]
Xojo 2019 Release 1 being downloaded as I type.[/quote]
That’s the solution (for the most part).

For me 2019r1 helped with GUI layout, but not with view switching and auto complete. I’ll try the hackintosh tonight and see if I find any useful info.

There is a considerable difference in speed in the layout and code editors in 2019r1 on both of my Mojave Macs (one is a Mid-2014 MacBook Pro, and one is a 2017 iMac 5K), compared to r3 and r4.

Any chance you have Console.app open? I’ve had major IDE slowdown issues when Console is open in the past. Not sure if it’s still a problem or not. If Time Machine is running a backup, that gives me slowness too.

I have had nothing but performance problems with Mojave unless it is the latest and greatest hardware from Mac. my Mac Pro (the black trashcan looking on) with 24gig of RAM and 1TB NVMe SSD is slow and clunky with Mojave. High Sierra it is fast and smooth.

I have several photographers I support and all of them have had issues with Affinity Photo/Adobe Photoshop/other photo editors and Mojave. The ones I was able to get them to go back to High Sierra has had all their issues go away.

so I blame Apple on this one and not Xojo.

The update seems to be going well. The IDE is for now working great.