I think I now hate Apple and High Sierra

Geoff Perlmann wrote:

Sigh… I deal with encodingless text every day. It’s not data, it’s text. I know the encoding pretty late when processing the text. Your way of thinking will give me a ton of headaches.

And back to the topic: I have an IMAP account for testing. No SSL needed. In some mail clients I have problems connecting to the account because they tell me that I need to have SSL.

It’s called being absurd to point out the absurdity of the other side. Maybe the German language doesn’t have an equivalent?

Back in the real Unix days, most Unix platforms provided multiple installation targets. Some were VERY secure, but you could always select the less or even non-secure targets if that’s what you needed.

This has always been one of the things that I have disliked about OS X/Mac OS. You get Apple’s idea of a system install and no other options.

I now have a bundle of tar.gz files containing our normal work needs that we install and compile on all new system installs. Thank goodness “csrutil disable” still works on High Sierra.

Imagine the monstrosity the OS and hardware would be if they included all legacy technology since 1984. Change sometimes hurts.

But at the same time make silly mistakes such as showing the users passwords instead of password hints![quote=354027:@Gavin Smith]Imagine the monstrosity the OS and hardware would be if they included all legacy technology since 1984. Change sometimes hurts.[/quote]
Next year, 32-Bit will be gone, so I am expecting the OS to half in size…

What’s kinda frustrating about a lot of the changes that Apple makes, is that they don’t give you options any more. In the old days you could pick and choose what gets installed, there were a ton of preference options for configuring your computer to the best way for your workflow. Now it’s stark, and if you don’t like the changes they make (media keys anyone), tough ■■■■. It takes what 2~3 lines of code and a checkbox in the prefs, then (almost) everyone’s happy. It reminds me of the days when MS would use the term “file(s)” because they were too lazy to display “file” or “files” depending on how many you’re working on.

It’s like the only person I’ve seen who uses apps in Full screen on a computer is my sister-in-law, because she uses an iPad more often than not. Yet the resize widget by default sends any window to swallow up the screen. In HDRtist NX, I added an option to revert this behavior, and every once in a while I get someone taking the time out and to write to me and thank me for doing so (again a couple of lines of code and a checkbox).

There is moving forwards to improve usage of the product, and there’s moving sideways or backwards just to say it’s the future.

Just a thought - I have been using FileZilla successfully on High Sierra - using sftp for file transfers is a breeze. It is open source and well constructed.