I think I now hate Apple and High Sierra

True.

And not every app you write needs to follow OOP principles and best practices.

But I still applaud Apple for being security-minded. And at first encouraging security, now strongly demanding security, and soon insisting on security, can only improve the security mindset.

Perhaps Apple feels that the number of users who use Telenet has dropped so low that providing it with the default install no longer makes sense and those that still use it can get that functionality elsewhere?

If you have an older OSX/macOS install somewhere you can copy the Telnet executables to High Sierra and they work just fine. That is no excuse for Apple deciding what tools are no longer required…

[quote=353937:@Markus Winter]True.

And not every app you write needs to follow OOP principles and best practices.

But I still applaud Apple for being security-minded. And at first encouraging security, now strongly demanding security, and soon insisting on security, can only improve the security mindset.[/quote]

OOH! HELP ME! SAVE ME FROM MYSELF!!! I need a Nanny in order to live!

What a F#$&^* stupid mindset!!!

I’m not sure I follow Apple’s logic here. Sure, telnet is insecure because it sends/receives data in plaintext.

But ssh is far more powerful - and with that power comes risk. SSH can be used to set up a secure tunnel between two machines that’s pretty much invisible to the end user when running.

I’m not a malware author, but it’s not hard to imagine ways one could use SSH to put a backdoor into someone’s machine.

For that matter, curl can be used to make unencrypted connections on the port and protocol of your choice: it’s like a superset of telnet. Should apple remove curl too?

Then why bother dropping it? It affects no one negatively then! It’s more work for them to drop it from Unix than to just leave it there.

at the office we have downgraded everyone from High Sierra to Sierra since it still has telnet. and we have zero plans to re-upgrade to High Sierra until we get a good solutions for that. I use telnet on a daily basis to test network connectivity. I can’t tell you how many times I telnet to port 80 or 25 or whatever to make sure the connectivity is there on a given server/appliance. this morning at a client’s site I used telnet at least a dozen times and I was only on site for about an hour.

BUT SCOTT!!! According to some people here, you unnecessarily exposed things to security risks!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah - right. It was a test for connectivity on a LAN. My point exactly.

PLEASE SAVE ME FROM MYSELF. APPLE, XOJO AND EVERYONE ELSE PLEASE HELP AND PROTECT ME AS I CAN’T HELP MYSELF!

yeppers I am a big a$$ security risk. i typed telnet. Please people save me.

Okay, if you really want… FolderItem, HTTPSocket, and Booleans have been removed from 2017r3 due to repeated complaints of accidental file deletion, and unannounced data transfers. Booleans were removed because it’s too easy to have the wrong value.

You forgot variants.

Oh yeah, those were removed in the new framework! :stuck_out_tongue:

Next, Apple/Microsoft/Google will announce that the Internet as we know it will be shut down, and all information interchange will be handled by a central AI, that will decide if your request is appropriate, secure and above all produces revenue for the afore mentioned corporations. Those that attempt to violate this new protocol will be subject to detention and other penalties…

The slogan for this new security entity will be “Its for your own protection”

[quote=353948:@Jon Ogden]You forgot variants.

Oh yeah, those were removed in the new framework! :P[/quote]
They have been replaced with Auto which is a better solution.

A better example would be encodings. In the new framework you are required to have an encoding when dealing with text. When you are getting text from an outside source (like reading a file), you have to specify the encoding. Why? Because too many people make assumptions or simply ignore it and that causes problems for them which then causes support problems for us. By requiring that the encoding be specified, it solves these issues.

[quote=353949:@Dave S]Next, Apple/Microsoft/Google will announce that the Internet as we know it will be shut down, and all information interchange will be handled by a central AI, that will decide if your request is appropriate, secure and above all produces revenue for the afore mentioned corporations. Those that attempt to violate this new protocol will be subject to detention and other penalties…

The slogan for this new security entity will be “Its for your own protection”[/quote]

“And we will be installing video monitors and cameras everywhere in order to monitor and secure your life.”

Orwell was right. He was just a couple decades off in the timing…

[quote=353950:@Geoff Perlman]They have been replaced with Auto which is a better solution.

A better example would be encodings. In the new framework you are required to have an encoding when dealing with text. When you are getting text from an outside source (like reading a file), you have to specify the encoding. Why? Because too many people make assumptions or simply ignore it and that causes problems for them which then causes support problems for us. By requiring that the encoding be specified, it solves these issues.[/quote]

Obviously you didn’t get the joke.

All Apple iMac computers already have this… :slight_smile:

No, I did. :slight_smile:

While I understand the desire to commiserate with friends and colleagues, don’t forget to do the most effect thing and that’s give Apple feedback. You can do that at Product Feedback - Apple.

[quote=353944:@Jon Ogden]BUT SCOTT!!! According to some people here, you unnecessarily exposed things to security risks!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah - right. It was a test for connectivity on a LAN. My point exactly.

PLEASE SAVE ME FROM MYSELF. APPLE, XOJO AND EVERYONE ELSE PLEASE HELP AND PROTECT ME AS I CAN’T HELP MYSELF![/quote]

Well, if you want to go all religious and berserk on it then be my guest, but do it without me … I find this type of “conversation” too silly to participate …

Or, you can use:

I’m sure there are a couple more that I’m forgetting. It’s easy…not!

Apple’s ecosystem is looking positively Microsoft-esqe these days: too many cooks in the kitchen.

If Apple had said, “you can’t use telnet anymore”, I would agree. But they didn’t, they said, “we aren’t including it anymore”. Well, there are a ton of tools that are not installed by default, and it is TRIVIAL to install it yourself. It doesn’t even cost anything more than a few minutes, so what is the big deal? Sure, it’s momentarily inconvenient, but the fact that you miss it at all probably means that you are qualified to install it yourself.

I’m not getting this at all.