I take it all* back. Finally published.

A few days ago I had a pretty bad time of things at the last stage of trying to get an iPad app onto the App Store.
I got very frustrated with the Apple process, certificates, profiles etc etc.
They simply didnt work on my machine.

I took a few days ‘off’ , and followed the example of another forum user having similar problems:
I revoked every provision and certificate. Deleted them all from keychain.
Went to iOS provisioning in the Apple developer site to create fresh ones, then selected the various profiles in a similarly named dummy app in Xcode, to ‘check it’
And I have today successfully uploaded for review! (Fingers crossed)

So: now that I reach this stage, I would like to provide my feedback on the Xojo iOS ability.
Despite there being some glaring omissions from the implementation, I was able to develop a working , stable, professional looking (all in my opinion of course) app
from a standing start, in about 3 days of code and 1 day of debugging with a real device.

My concerns over the New Framework proved more or less groundless in the end, due to the setting that allows me to code without specifying the namespaces.
A few tweaks to handle Val() and .ToText(), simple replacement of ‘as String’ with ‘as Text’, and some boilerplate code I needed ran in minutes.
I didnt really want to use declares, but ended up including perhaps 5 , provided by forum members.

Im actually really pleased with the ease I can code for iOS in Xojo, (even if I have some choice words for the App Store process).
And to those who got sick of me asking questions … sorry folks… it was a stressful few days, but none of it was Xojo’s fault.
:slight_smile:

Congratulations, Jeff

I have never put an iOS app in the App Store but I have put several Mac ones and the process can be really frustrating (especially, as you’ve said, because too many things from multiple parties have to be perfect but, as they’re created at different stages, there might be non-obvious conflicts with certificates, versions or permissions).

If you can, please share the application when it gets approved :slight_smile:

Well, here’s odd.
I uploaded 1.0 then worried that I hadnt removed iPhone screens.
I pulled 1.0, uploaded 1.1 which only has an iPad screen

They seem to have published 1.0, and even though its for iPad only, the App Store is telling people its for every iPhone under the sun.
How do I tell Apple that its iPad only?
Even the description fields are all ‘locked’ in the iTunes connect page

Urgh. Back to square one.
Turns out it’s ‘Not allowed’ to remove previously supported devices, despite not having supplied a single copy to any user.
So I’ve had to pull the app completely and start again.
And Im back to profile errors, so another cleardown is going to be required.

Damn! I completely understand how you must feel in this situation.

It gets funnier…
Apparently even though I withdrew the first one totally from the App Store, I cannot use the same name for the corrected version because ‘someone else has a copyright on the name’.
Anyway, back into awaiting review.

And we’re online.
Hooray!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cross-stitch-markup/id1434170027?ls=1&mt=8

The app is a free utility which I will be giving to users of our desktop application.
Documents created by desktop apps can be used on the iPad instead of ‘from sheets of paper’.
The hope is that either they will also buy my desktop app, OR buy designs from people who have bought my desktop app.
(Proud to say lot of folk have built their own businesses from using my software)

(This is the first of a number of iPad apps I now have in development.
Sadly the ‘charged for’ apps in my pipeline do appear to be late to the market.
I wish I had taken the plunge on Xojo iOS earlier.
But onwards, ever onwards.)

Just download your iOS app on to my iPad and the look really good.

I have a few question

I am wonder what you are using for the instruction? Is it a pdf showing inside a htmlviewer?

Next , how do you transfer files from your desktop to the iPad?

Exactly that.
The manual is in resources.
When the app starts up, it copies the manual to documents
Then displays it using htmlviewer from there.

You connect iPad to iTunes
Go to apps, and File Sharing
Apps which enable file sharing expose their documents folder there, and you can just drag files from Finder into that.

Looks great Jeff. Don’t forget to post in Xojo made iOS apps.

If you want to increase your user base you should really make an iPhone version. IPads only account for 10% of my total downloads of Packr, meaning there are many more iPhone users than iPad.

My personal feeling is that the iPhone screen is just too darn small for this.

But the current workflow is geared around the split view, and definitely ‘the next one’ is going to really need it.
As far as I can tell, I cant do Split views on the iPhone, so I would need to do a lot of screen juggling.
Is Split view possible?

I haven’t tested your app yet to make a statement whether an iPhone screen would be too small.

However, using split view on iPhone isn’t possible, at least in Xojo and anyway it isn’t recommended.

But basically you wouldn’t need to refractor very much.

The initial view on iPhone would be the view on the left from the iPad split view.
Selecting an item from this list would just do a PushTo(otherView) (iPhone) instead of splitview.detail = otherView (iPad).

This is what I did in my first iOS app that was initially made for iPad, but really needed to be compatible with iPhone too.

[quote]The initial view on iPhone would be the view on the left from the iPad split view.
Selecting an item from this list would just do a PushTo(otherView) (iPhone) instead of splitview.detail = otherView (iPad).[/quote]
Thats what I thought.

I reckon I would need to emulate the split view by putting a table and canvas on a single view.
Shouldnt be too hard.
Then its either push views, or tabs, (but tabs lose real estate)

Very nice Jeff, just a little typo:

“It is an alternative to printing out sheets [b]or/b paper or working from PDF files.”

Dang. Isn’t it crazy that I can’t correct that without sending a whole new build?

Very nice.

In “Select a file” it only shows a generic icon for most files. Only after opening a file and returning to the selector do you see the custom icon.

Interesting… if there is a thumbnail view for a file, it uses it.
If there isn’t one, it generates one on opening.
I did have thumbs for all these samples, looks like they didn’t all make it into the resources folder with this build.
Thanks for pointing that out Markus.

At least when I upload those I can correct the typo, eh?

There are some online services (AppLanga…) that allow correcting typos without releasing a new build, but it isn’t worth it if your app is only available in English or has a limited audience.