HTMLViewer renderer not a thing anymore?

We used to be able to set it in the inspector. I’m not seeing it anymore?

The choice of renderer was specific to Windows. Mac and Linux always used WebKit, regardless of this setting. With DesktopHTMLViewer, that choice is gone, so Xojo will bundle the (very large) Chromium libraries into your app.

The alternative is to use the legacy HTMLViewer.

Yes, the build for Windows is now very large; my 25Mb or so .exe grows to 270Mbytes.

2 Likes

For my needs, since I use Christian’s plugins, I sniff for WebView2 availability and use the WebView2ViewerMBS if all is good. Otherwise I fall back to the old control.

On Windows, Firefox weighs in at almost a half-gig. I see no reason for my humble app to be almost two-thirds of that. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you everyone.

Microsoft has removed internet explorer from Windows 11. The old renderer is no longer possible. Everyone users WebKit now, even Microsoft.

**With no plugins you can also load webview2 on Windows.

In my own test on Windows 11 (Fusion VM), native rendering DOES continue to work. I just don’t count on it staying that way. Perhaps it makes a difference that the system was upgraded from Windows 10, as opposed to being a clean install.

This is not true, though IE11 may be gone, the WebView / IE11 rendereing engine is still present, and apps which use it still work fine.

I’d be interested in seeing an example of this, can you share?

1 Like

You mean Chromium engine? Because WebKit is the Safari one.

In 7 months internet explorer will cease to function on Windows 11 after an update…

doesn’t it say the component will be supported with the Windows version it belongs to?

I’d expect the IE component for developers stays where it is.

lol.

“August 17, 2021: Support is now unavailable for Microsoft 365 apps and services on IE11. Additionally, you should expect no new features when accessing Microsoft 365 apps and services on IE11 and that the daily usage experience for users could get progressively worse over time until the apps and services are disconnected. Banners will be used to communicate and alert users to upcoming changes in experience, such as app or service disconnection and/or redirection.”

Actually it says that NEW Microsoft 365 apps will not be compatilbe with IE11.

Internet Explorer (IE) 11 is the last major version of Internet Explorer. Starting June 15, 2022 , the Internet Explorer 11 desktop application will no longer be supported on certain versions of Windows 10*. When a system no longer supports an application, that usually implies no longer functional I’d assume? - advises users use legacy mode in the new browser.

As announced today, Microsoft Edge with IE mode is officially replacing the Internet Explorer 11 desktop application on Windows 10. As a result, the Internet Explorer 11 desktop application will go out of support and be retired on June 15, 2022 for certain versions of Windows 10.

**If you read-on, they’re not removing the control from windows for 2 releases - but during that time there will be “degraded” experience when trying to use it, and will be removed from certain versions of windows 10 prior.

And the new edge will have the “Internet Explorer mode” to ensure legacy apps to work at least through 2029

1 Like

Except Microsfot Edge IE and legacy support ended last year in March 2021 when it was replaced with the Microsoft Edge Chromium version.

**On a side note - I work with a bunch of Government affiliations (like the VA & USDA etc) here in the US and the websites were all updated by last September in anticipation of Microsoft killing off IE support this year.

lol. No one is talking about the Old legacy support on IE11, that just emulates older IE versions.

The NEW Microsoft Edge “Chromium” includes the NEW “Internet Explorer mode” that emulates IE11 and will work at least through 2029. At least is what says in the last link you posted, did you read them?

1 Like

Just provided the following solution to another developer whom wishes to continue using the IE control. Please an OLEContainer control on your window and in the opening event - add the following code to load IE control.

Var v As Variant
Var params(1) As Variant

params(1) = "http://www.wikipedia.org/"

Me.ProgramID = "Shell.Explorer"

If Me.Create Then
  Me.Content.Invoke("Navigate", params)
End If

me.Refresh(True)

**Allows you to use IE control even though it’s no longer part of Xojo.

Just did - :slight_smile: See solution I added for temporary fix since IE is missing from current Xojo releases. You’ll need to manually load the controls.

I think you completely misunderstood that developer’s goal. They want to use the newer WebView2 control, not the old IE native renderer. WebView2 uses Edge and has excellent rendering without the need to embed Chromium.

1 Like

But - The method remains the same either way - COM is COM is COM :slight_smile:

Internet Explorer Classname = Shell.Explorer
WebView2 Classname = Microsoft.Web.WebView2.WinForms.WebView2

You can directly access the ICoreWebView2 interface thru the CoreWebView2 property.

**To simplify things, you could build a small C# wrapper using .Net core for Windows machines, and the declares will be much easier (far less code also) to work with in Xojo.

There’s also Gecko and a number of other browser replacement controls that can be used ie miniBlink (stripped down small Chrome - like CEF - but without all the ‘bulk’)

1 Like