HTMLViewer in Linux

Hey all,

I’m a Linux neophyte and am trying to use an HTMLViewer in Linux and I keep getting the following exception:

HTMLViewer requires libwebkit/libwebkitgtk or libgtkhtml

The problem is that if I go to Synaptic Package Manager, libwebkitgtk is installed. And I also installed every piece of libgtkhtml that I could find as well (all the dev libraries and everything). Same problem still the crash.

I’m running Ubuntu 12 - 32 bit.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I also tried it and installed all the webkit packages I found, but not success so far.

Not good if Christian can’t get it to work! :slight_smile:

From the HTMLViewer page, does this command work for you:

sudo apt-get install libwebkitgtk-1.0.0

I just set up an Ubuntu 13.04 VM earlier today where I got the “HTMLViewer requires” message, but running the above command fixed it.

[quote=40587:@Paul Lefebvre]From the HTMLViewer page, does this command work for you:

I just set up an Ubuntu 13.04 VM earlier today where I got the “HTMLViewer requires” message, but running the above command fixed it.[/quote]

Where would I put this in the viewer page? And Xojo only supports version 1.0.0 of the libwebgtk library? The current version is 3.0.0

Never mind. Not on the viewer control! DOH! You were referencing the help page. I got it.

This is a pain as I then have to make sure my customers have to install the correct libraries.

Such is life with Linux in general.

You could try creating symlinks from the 3.0.0 libs to the expected 1.0.0 files. The 3.0.0 libs have everything that the 1.0.0 files had and have a lot of fixes and performance improvements.

Otherwise, as Paul says, C’est la Vie en Linux.

So why doesn’t Xojo just support whatever is installed then???

The manner in which things are linked. Xojo is linked against the lowest compatible version. Previously, the Linux distros did the symlinks automatically. I’m not sure when, or why, they stopped.

And the last stated from Xojo was that having it compile with the application (like Windows does) was causing a crash…

what do I do if my ubuntu 10 here has no package libwebkitgtk-1.0.0?

okay, seems like libwebkit-1.0.so.2 and libgtkhtml-3.14.so.19 works, too.

libwebkitgtk-3 is linked with GTK+3, while our framework is still linked against GTK+2. They are not compatible so we cannot just use libwebkitgtk-3 unfortunately. Of course our goal is to support GTK+3 eventually.

Still having this issue with Ubuntu 12.04.2 Desktop 64-bit. I have multiarch support installed as well, but still the message persists. This is a vanilla VM, nothing else installed. Ubuntu 12 is LTS (long term support). Really not looking to run beta versions or old LTS or cutting edge versions. We need professionally (paid) supported, “legit” versions as apart of client requirements. Any ideas?

btw, Xojo Release 3 from the Ubuntu Software Center, 2.6Ghz, Intel i7.

This is your problem. You need 32 bit Ubuntu.

If only we could tell our users that, Jon. Almost 100% of our Linux clients are moving to 64bit-only servers this year. With the distros dropping “easy to install” support for 32bit libs, I see a lot of pain in the new year if the 64 bit native compile situation isn’t resolved.

Here’s hoping…

I have multi arch support installed (read: 32bit libraries). So to clarify: I can make Xojo apps that run on 64-bit flavors of Ubuntu with 32bit libraries (and run other 32-bit apps without issue, including Xojo), but I just can’t use webkit and that’s my problem because my clients should be using a 32-bit operating system from the get-go.

Good to know. I was really hoping that cross platform development would be Xojo’s forte (my mistake). I’ll give http://appjs.com and nodewebkit a go. We’re unfortunately pretty far into development but I’ll see what I can salvage.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

I’m not an expert in multi-arch support, but if you cannot use HTMLViewer, then it would appear multi-arch did not install libwebkitgtk-1.0.0 for 32-bit use. Have you tried installing that manually somehow? I know this command has worked on 32-bit systems, but I don’t have a 64-bit system available at the moment to test: