How's Z-Order these days?

I hope someone doesn’t decide to “fix” it, lol.

The red outline around the parent is a nice feature. It is not a bug.

2 Likes

Agreed, it is essential.

I could wish, however, that one had more control over the parentage.

Yep … same here!

But you do. Actually in Desktop you can set the parent in code.

Part of my attempts have been to do ControlOnTop.Parent = Nil. This helps - sometimes.

But my modus operandi - then and looks like for now - is not to overlap controls, even if it is canvases.

More than 10 years ago I hit this head on, receiving a “fractured skull” for it. My solution was to go to a control-less solution, where I just used a single canvas, drew everything, and created a InterfaceManager that handled all clicks and drawings. Aside from the utter complication (which I hid fairly successfully), the drawback was on the Windows side where there was a little too much flickering.

What I mean is, you can unparent but you can’t choose to force a parentage. Maybe this doesn’t make sense in most cases, but there are instances where it was unclear to me that the desired parentage (via the red outline) had been effected. Neither, in the IDE, is it possible (AFAIK) to be told directly what the parent of a control is; I had to resort to running the app, and then fiddling through the debugger to look at the Parent property.

1 Like