How to zoom an App window (when designing)

Hello,

Is there a way to zoom in (or out) a Desktop window when you’re designing it in Xojo? Say that I’m working on a 13" laptop and the screen just isn’t big enough to display the full app’s window that I’m currently designing. Is there a way to zoom out the window out so I can see the entire window on the screen, without having to scroll back and forth?

Byron

No. But that would be a wonderful thing to be able to do.

If you have the appropriate Accessibility/Ease of Access feature turned on for your OS, you can zoom/magnify the whole screen.

• macOS: (alt) + (cmd) + 8 to start zooming

• then (alt) + (cmd) + (+) to zoom more
    • or (alt) + (cmd) + (-) to zoom out
    • (alt) + (cmd) + 8 again to quit zooming
  • Windows: (win) + (+) to start zooming

• then (win) + (+) again to zoom more
    • or (win) + (-) to zoom out
    • (win) + (esc) to quit zooming.

It’s not what you’re asking for, but I do this sometimes, when trying to align controls in the IDE (small screens or not). I find it helpful.

[quote=492682:@Scott Cadillac]If you have the appropriate Accessibility/Ease of Access feature turned on for your OS, you can zoom/magnify the whole screen.

• macOS: (alt) + (cmd) + 8 to start zooming

• then (alt) + (cmd) + (+) to zoom more
    • or (alt) + (cmd) + (-) to zoom out
    • (alt) + (cmd) + 8 again to quit zooming
  • Windows: (win) + (+) to start zooming

• then (win) + (+) again to zoom more
    • or (win) + (-) to zoom out
    • (win) + (esc) to quit zooming.

It’s not what you’re asking for, but I do this sometimes, when trying to align controls in the IDE (small screens or not). I find it helpful.[/quote]
Scott thanks! I didn’t realize you could zoom in more with the + on Mac… Thanks!!!

On the Mac, there is another method of zooming that I find to be a bit more fluid:
System Preferences > Zoom > Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom:
and then select whether to use the Control, Option or Command key.

To zoom in or out, you hold that modifier key and scroll with your mouse (or equivalent gesture). It will scroll smoothly across the whole range rather than in steps with the keyboard shortcut.

Also, check out the “Zoom style: Picture in picture options

(Some ‘keyboard only’ programmers may prefer the keyboard shortcut approach)

The “Design canvas zoom” is not the “screen zoom”. All our tools and palettes still where they are at an optimal size, only the layout being worked on increases/decreases the size to have better overall notion at zoom out and doing fine tunings in a zoom in. Designing a 1080p app layout using a 1366 x 768 laptop without this sucks.

<https://xojo.com/issue/15736>
an almost 10 years old one …

When writing the new layout editor, I tried consolidating code in a way that would make this easier to implement. But best laid plans…

It’s unfortunately a huge undertaking, and I think even if I could still work on the layout editor, I’m not sure it would get done.

[quote=493283:@Thom McGrath]But best laid plans…[/code]
I’ve used this phrase as well :frowning: