How to extract movie frames in natural size?

Hi,

I currently use this code to extract frames from a movie file:

if AAssetReader=nil then Return 'AVAssetReaderMBS object

if AAssetReader.status=AAssetReader.AVAssetReaderStatusReading then
  Var nts As CGSizeMBS=TrackOutput.track.naturalSize 'TrackOutput is an AVAssetReaderTrackOutputMBS
  Var bf As CMSampleBufferMBS=TrackOutput.NextSampleBuffer

if bf<>nil then
    Var ib As CVImageBufferMBS=bf.ImageBuffer

if ib<>nil then
      ResultNSImage=ib.NSImage
      Return
    end if
  end if
end if

The resulting image has a unexpected size, however. The movie’s real size is 1048x576 (in the code above, the “nts” variable correctly reports this), but the returned NSImage has a size of 720x576.

Checking in QuickTime Player, I get both versions (the “Resolution” line), although the player shows the correct size of 1048x576:

I’d like to retrieve the image in the natural size (1048x576) rather than the “current” size (I don’t know where this size is coming from, by the way :man_shrugging:).

The MBS documentation mentions “The MBS Plugin implements a subset of what’s available. If you need more, please do not hesitate to contact us.”. I’m therefore wondering whether the function I need could be added (either specify a given size to an existing class or be able to retrieve the NSImage in a wanted size). Or perhaps I’m missing an existing way?

For now, I’m using “ResultNSImage.setSize(nts.width,nts.height)” to resize the picture after getting it, but I’m concerned about losing quality.

So your video has 720x576, which is currently shown as 1049 x 576, so it’s basically compressed horizontally.

I tried this code:

Dim file As FolderItem = New FolderItem("/Users/cs/Movies/Familie/Trampolin.mov", FolderItem.PathModes.Native)
Dim asset As AVAssetMBS = AVAssetMBS.assetWithFile(File)
dim error as NSErrorMBS
Dim AssetReader As AVAssetReaderMBS = AVAssetReaderMBS.assetReaderWithAsset(asset, error)

Dim VideoTracks() As AVAssetTrackMBS = asset.tracksWithMediaType(AVFoundationMBS.AVMediaTypeVideo)
Dim VideoTrack As AVAssetTrackMBS = VideoTracks(0)
Dim naturalSize As CGSizeMBS = VideoTrack.naturalSize

// setup track output
Dim d As New Dictionary
d.Value(CVPixelBufferMBS.kCVPixelBufferPixelFormatTypeKey) = CVPixelBufferMBS.kCVPixelFormatType_32ARGB

' you can request whatever size you like
'd.Value(CVPixelBufferMBS.kCVPixelBufferWidthKey) = 1024
'd.Value(CVPixelBufferMBS.kCVPixelBufferHeightKey) = 576

Dim TrackOutput As New AVAssetReaderTrackOutputMBS(VideoTrack, d)
AssetReader.addOutput TrackOutput

// start it!
AssetReader.startReading

If AssetReader.status = AssetReader.AVAssetReaderStatusReading Then

Var bf As CMSampleBufferMBS = TrackOutput.NextSampleBuffer

If bf<>Nil Then
    Var ib As CVImageBufferMBS=bf.ImageBuffer

If ib<>Nil Then
      Dim ResultNSImage As NSImageMBS = ib.NSImage

Backdrop = ResultNSImage.CopyPicture
      Break
    End If
  End If
End If
2 Likes

Thank you, this works like a charm! (and I’ve learnt a good trick with your example)

Do you happen to know whether this horizontal compression makes sense? The video came from a video camera.
Does it mean the compression reduce the file size, so the picture is actually poorer than it should?
Thanks again.