how to escape single quotes for sqlite input?

Like the title says, I’m trying to figure out how to escape single quotes in my SQLite input data.
I’m using the text from a text field named “heading”, so obviously the data would be grabbed from heading.text. I want to be able to allow single quotes in the text, and input to the DB works fine, but I get an error on DB output, caused by the single quote in the text. I’ve looked at SQLitePreparedStatement, but I don’t understand that at all…may as well be written in Greek. :wink:
Could some kind soul please help me out with this?

SQLitePreparedStatement is the best way to go. The benefits are much more than escaping single quotes.

Can you post some code where you’ve tried using a prepared statement? Maybe we can help you understand them a little better.

the simple answer to the quote problem is to replace any instance of single quote by two such quotes.
t = replaceall(myvalue, “’”,"’’")

Prepared statements allow you to set the value of what is more or less a variable, with the string, which can contain quotes and other ‘dangerous’ characters.
Generally agreed to be the best way to handle the issue.

Read the example on the SQLitePreparedStatement page in the docs.

Instead of concatenating the SQL string like that:

"SELECT * FROM Persons WHERE Name = '" + nameVar + "' AND Age >= " + 30 + ";"

and thereby worrying about quotes, SQL injections, and more, you create the SQL statement with placeholders (question mark):

"SELECT * FROM Persons WHERE Name = ? AND Age >= ?"

Then you tell the PreparedStatement object (called ps in that case), of what data type each placeholder is:

ps.BindType(0, SQLitePreparedStatement.SQLITE_TEXT) // Name is a string ps.BindType(1, SQLitePreparedStatement.SQLITE_INTEGER) // Age is an integer
Then you execute the SQL statement by handing over the appropriate values, in this case a string for the name followed by an integer for the age:

Dim rs As RecordSet = ps.SQLSelect("John", 20)

I have found that there are two levels of escaping you need with SQL brands:

1. when assigning text to a variable within single quotes (as above, e.g. singe quotes)
  2. when searching for text within the LIKE command. In this instance special characters may need to be escaped e.g. \, % and _ (backslash, percent and underscore).

I know the first one affects SQLite, but I’m not sure if the second one also needs to be accounted for.

Thanks one and all.

Eli Ott:
I did read the example on the SQLitePreparedStatement page in the docs…I must be dim witted, because I can’t make head nor tail of it…your explanation helps a bit though.
I’m confused as to how this would apply to an sql insert statement, since my values are all named variables, and I’m not returning a recordset.

It works the same. By the way, one of the examples in the docs is with an INSERT statement.

The insert version works much the same as the select version, but you call SQLExecute rather than SQLSelect

[code]
db.SQLExecute(“CREATE TABLE Persons(Name, Age)”)

Dim ps As PreparedSQLStatement = _
db.Prepare(“INSERT INTO Persons (Name, Age) VALUES (?, ?)”)

ps.BindType(0, MySQLPreparedStatement.MYSQL_TYPE_STRING)
ps.BindType(1, MySQLPreparedStatement.MYSQL_TYPE_LONG)

ps.SQLExecute(“john”, 20)
ps.SQLExecute(“john”, 21)
//now commit the changes

db.SQLExecute(“COMMIT”)[/code]

Thanks, Eli, I see it. I’ll give it a go and let you know how I do.

Here’s what I’ve got…doesn’t work. No data gets input to the DB. What am I missing…any thoughts?

[code] Dim ps As SQLitePreparedStatement = _
db.Prepare(“INSERT INTO data (id,date,heading,refs,notes) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?)”)

ps.BindType(0, SQLitePreparedStatement.SQLITE_TEXT)

ps.SQLExecute("",entrydate.text, heading.text, refs.text, notes.text)
db.SQLExecute("COMMIT")[/code]

[code]Dim ps As SQLitePreparedStatement = _
db.Prepare(“INSERT INTO data (date,heading,refs,notes) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?)”) // Remove “id” !!!

ps.BindType(1, SQLitePreparedStatement.SQLITE_TEXT)
ps.BindType(2, SQLitePreparedStatement.SQLITE_TEXT)
ps.BindType(3, SQLitePreparedStatement.SQLITE_TEXT)

ps.SQLExecute("", entrydate.text, heading.text, refs.text, notes.text)
// Make sure that entrydate.text is a string which is recognized as date string by SQLite (unless the column named date in you database is a text field)

If db.Error Then
db.Rollback()
Else
db.Commit()
End[/code]

Thanks a million, Eli! I made one small adjustment to your last code:

ps.SQLExecute("", entrydate.text, heading.text, refs.text, notes.text)

I removed the “” and now everything works pefectly! Thank you so much for your help! :slight_smile:

I do this instead as I(me) find it easier to read.

ps.Bind(0, entrydate.text)
ps.Bind(0, heading.text)
ps.Bind(0, refs.text)
ps.Bind(0, notes.text)

ps.SQLExecute()

Edit:

[code]ps.BindType(0, SQLitePreparedStatement.SQLITE_TEXT)
ps.Bind(0, entrydate.text)
ps.Bind(1, heading.text)
ps.Bind(2, refs.text)
ps.Bind(3, notes.text)

ps.SQLExecute()[/code]

While I prefer to give the params in the ps.SQLExecute statement, both are legitimate and Albin’s preference is the only choice if you need to supply the parameters in a loop. For example, if you have created a generic method that takes the parameters as an array.