How to create a “Post-Build Script”

I wanted to write a script to copy at stand-Alone build time the App icon (then other icons) and the result si in the pdf here.

Feel free to send reports (bugs, typos, grammar errors, advices, improvements, comments, etc.).

See the Users Guide - Framework section 2 Build Automation

Once I abandoned my old, convoluted IDE Script and moved to the Build Automation, my builds are much less complex and error prone.

I just wish the IDE would display the steps during the build (<https://xojo.com/issue/39840> :slight_smile: ).

It would even be nicer to see which IDE script is having fit if one of the scripts has a problem…

That one’s already in the system: <https://xojo.com/issue/39618> :slight_smile:

I do. AS I download the pdf named “IDEScripting.pdf”. (same contents ?).

Nota: when I am on a subject for some times (5 to 10 minutes, I start to think “why I waste my time ?”), my patience seems to disappears as fast as water in the Death Valley. I’m starting to read stuff “in diagonal” and end-up with anger… sometimes I even scrap the whole thing.

And when what I do is common (what can be more common than copying the application icon ?)…

Am I alone ?

Hi Emile,

Copying the icon would be a “CopyFilesStep” that you add to the build settings for a specific platform. When you add a CopyFilesStep to the Build, you set the destination folder within you app and then drag and drop the files from Finder into the window presented. You then end up with a build section that looks like this (you can rename them):

One more thing - IDE Scripting is not the same thing as using the new Build Settings. I used to use very complex (and prone to problems) IDE Scripts for my builds. As I mentioned above, since I left those and started using the Build Settings, my projects are much more trouble-free.

While you can use scripts with the Build Settings, most common steps do not require them.

Thank you Tim for your comments.

Yes, that was what I was doing. An easy task (simple task), but not from reading the docs.

What is your AddDefaultConfigs ? A “Simple” service file with default data you read at application open time I suppose.

BTW: is there’s someone who do that on Windows (Linux ?) ?

People told me that I used an old Windows Xoojo version, so I installed 2015r2.2, but mi license stopped at 2015r1 ! And so I could not check how to do that earlier. I will install 2015r1 and try this afternoon or so.

Also, what is the name to use for the Application Icon (Windows / Linux) ?