how to convert a float to hex ?

Hi,

silly issue : I would like to convert a float to hex (8 digits).
“Hex” seems not work with float number.
Have you got an idea ?
Thanks a lot

[quote=172011:@Dominik Fusina]Hi,

silly issue : I would like to convert a float to hex (8 digits).
“Hex” seems not work with float number.
Have you got an idea ?
Thanks a lot[/quote]

Hex is usually used for integers. But you can probably do this :

dim x as double = microseconds/1000000 dim myhex as string = hex(floor(x))+"."+hex((x-floor(x))*1000000) msgbox myhex

It will separate the integer from the mantissa, and represent each as Hex, separated by the dot.

It’s a kludge, just off the top of my head.

[code]Dim My Float As Single
Dim Msg As String

Dim m as MemoryBlock
m = New MemoryBlock(4)
m.LittleEndian = False

MyFloat = 2.14567
m.SingleValue(0) = MyFloat

For i = 0 To 3
Msg = Msg + Right(“00” + Hex(m.Byte(i)), 2)
Next
[/code]
Msg is your String that represents the hexadecimal value. It may have leading zero’s which isn’t usual rendering but you can add code for that.

or use a memoryblock… but that doesn’t mean the result would mean anything to any other environment

[/code][quote=172011:@Dominik Fusina]I would like to convert a float to hex (8 digits).[/quote]

[code]
Dim f As Double = 1234.34563

System.DebugLog Str(f, “0.00000”) // check the precision

Dim m As New MemoryBlock(4) // for 8 hex digits, you must pack the value in 4 bytes, so it must be Single, Doubles uses 8 bytes

m.SingleValue(0) = f // Converting to 4 bytes loses precision or causes overflow errors (value does not fit)

Dim theHex As String = EncodeHex(Chrb(m.byte(0))+Chrb(m.byte(1))+Chrb(m.byte(2))+Chrb(m.byte(3))) // here is the hex

System.DebugLog theHex

// Lets reverse, decode each hex byte and put it back in m(i) {the 0,1,2,3 bytes reconstructing the Single}, then use it.
// Well, the old value stays there let’s just use it for this this example

f = m.SingleValue(0)

System.DebugLog Str(f, “0.00000”)

// See… It lost precision. 1234.34563 -> 1234.34558

Would be great being possible to fix the mistypes due to the quote in the wrong place. :slight_smile:

The first question to Dominik should be:

Why? Who will read it? What floating point format do you want to encode?

Thank you everybody for your precious help :wink:

[quote=172034:@Christian Schmitz]The first question to Dominik should be:

Why? Who will read it? What floating point format do you want to encode?[/quote]
Christian, I need to encode several float values into data files in hexadecimal format.

use SQLite database for your data files and you have less worries.

and a correct solution could be:

[code] dim d as Double = 1.23

// encode
dim m as new MemoryBlock(8)
m.LittleEndian = true
m.DoubleValue(0) = d

dim h as string = EncodeHex(m)

// decode

dim mm as MemoryBlock = DecodeHex(h)
mm.LittleEndian = true
dim dd as Double = mm.DoubleValue(0)

Break[/code]

EncodeHex is better than Hex as it can encode a chunk of bytes.

I understand. But my project is a little bit more complex : Each file must have to contain configuration data, like “profiles”.
In my case, it’s easier to update one or two files than a “big” SQLite Database. It’s more safe too :wink:

Consider using JSON for the files. It’s a simple format, you can organize it how you wish, and you can store the values directly without encoding.

I would say it’s easier to send UPDATE SQL command to a SQLite database than reading, parsing, changing and writing a binary file.