How many Developers are using Xojo?

VB or Delphi are in no way NO-CODE, even low-code, they are RAD (that is what I’m talking about).

I think you can agree with me about the RAD concept that was born in the 80s. It has worked to date.

I have used NO-CODE tools in the past. It is silly. Unreadable. Unmaintainable. Slow to develop. It’s great to teach children to program, but I would never recommend any PRO using such mess.

RAD Tools are heaven.

3 Likes

Exactly !!!

As an engineer, you should not marry with a tool have to see all the possibilities and choose according to what you are looking for (objective).

I see some tools in the market offer interpreting business rules in a different, fresh, and visual way.

OK.

I would put Filemaker/Claris into the no-code for prototyping, and low code for development. And while some may think it has it’s limitations, there are some intriguing new things happening with it. And, unlike XOJO, the code is very portable between desktop and web, and once you learn how to use the IDE, you’ve also mastered the report writer. For commercial development, it’s a no-go because of the pricing, but for customer development (custom software for a specific client), it’s hard to beat when all things are considered. With each new release they are becoming more flexible and more adaptable to the needs of the professional developer. One last thing, with the backing of the largest computer company behind it (Apple), you should have too much trouble selling it to your client.

Hmmm. Been there done that. FileMaker priced themselves out of the market at the smaller/medium sized businesses I was dealing with. I’m not sure they even have a coherent strategy these days - there are plenty of complaints about the direction of the product and the extremely slow new feature development.

I loved the product but they lost their way unfortunately.

Are we talking about the same FileMaker that after 20 years doesn’t have a decent interface builder or simple controls like a splitter or a hierarchical listbox? They don’t even have a language for their scripts. Everything has to be clicked which drives me bonkers. There haven’t been any major changes I have noticed since Filemaker 16.

1 Like

This is not true anymore since V 14. You start typing the script step, then as window open with a list of steps that matches what you have typed.

Thank you for not saying “Forecasted”, ugh.

What Filemaker has is not a language. My app can use Filemaker so I know Filemaker.

You guys missed a lot in FileMaker changes.
FileMaker is low or no code as you can build a solution without ever touching the script workspace. But you can also build huge systems to run businesses.
And it’s on a higher abstraction level compared to Xojo.

2 Likes

Well said Christian.

There are trade offs with every language and it really depends on your needs and the amount of time you are willing to spend learning the development system. I’ve been able to create applications (aka solutions in FM speak) that run on the desktop, web, and on your iPhone in days compared to the weeks or months it would take with xojo. I use it for a lot of internal apps that I can quickly modify without missing any down time.

It’s a completely different tool compared to xojo and has the backing of Apple so it should be an easy sell to IT.

1 Like