How make an app start on windows startup

I’m sure at least one of you gurus on here knows how to make an app start on windows startup. Could somebody enlighten me, please? :slight_smile:

I found this:
auto-start-desktop-app-at-boot-time

I’ll see if I can get my head around it.

[quote=198472:@Bill Dawson]I found this:
auto-start-desktop-app-at-boot-time

I’ll see if I can get my head around it.[/quote]

This is for Mac.

On Windows, add a shortcut to the program in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

You will need to have administrator privileges and to provide your password to do so.

Up until Windows 7, you will find the Startup folder in the Start Menu/All programs.

In Windows 8 and 10, you can access that folder by pasting the path into a Windows Explorer window path bar.

Installer programs usually make it very easy to add to that particular folder.

Thanks, Michel…saved me some struggling for no good reason. Didn’t notice that thread was for mac.

I use Inno Script Studio to make my installers. I’ll see if it can put an auto-start in as well.

Other than that, I guess if I want to make the auto-start a selectable feature, say with a checkbox, then I’ll need to be set up to copy over (and delete) the app shortcut from somewhere into the folder path you specified.
I’m guessing that the admin privileges thing will have to be left up to the user…I’ve tried elevating privileges in the past, without success.

Have I got the premise right?

[quote=198517:@Bill Dawson]Thanks, Michel…saved me some struggling for no good reason. Didn’t notice that thread was for mac.

I use Inno Script Studio to make my installers. I’ll see if it can put an auto-start in as well.

Other than that, I guess if I want to make the auto-start a selectable feature, say with a checkbox, then I’ll need to be set up to copy over (and delete) the app shortcut from somewhere into the folder path you specified.
I’m guessing that the admin privileges thing will have to be left up to the user…I’ve tried elevating privileges in the past, without success.

Have I got the premise right?[/quote]

I do not use that installer but it should be easy to instruct it to place a shortcut in the Startup folder, since usually such programs let you decide on the startup menu items you create/copy. That is your best bet since an installer always has the privileges to do so.

Then if you want to turn that feature on/off, make shortcut in Startup to point to a helper (a windowless app will do very well), and use for it a preference file (I use a simple CSV text file stored in SpecialFolder.ApplicationData) that contains the user preferences. If it is “start upon boot”, then you start your app with folderitem.launch and quit, otherwise quit.

Of course within your app you should have a dialog or a menu check somewhere which sets that option on/off and saves the preferences file.

That way you do not have to mess with the Startup folder after install.

Whew. That’s a lot to take in. I’ll get started on all that and let you know how I do. Thanks for the help. :slight_smile:

Just out of curiosity, which install-maker do you use?

I am kind of a minimalist. I have been using Create Install for years : http://www.createinstall.com/

Thanks will check it out. :slight_smile:

10 seconds of google yields this hit from the Inno knowledge base: http://www.jrsoftware.org/iskb.php?startwithwindows

The Registry method seems to be used more often these days. The Startup folder is simpler, though.

At any rate, both can be managed through the Startup Programs control panel to enable/disable them. Which is yet another way for the OP, if he does not want to go with a helper app to make the auto start optional.

Yes, I googled it also, but I was searching using xojo among the terms…no need for sarcasm. Remember: you were a noob once too.
Thanks for the link.