How do you Symbolicate an .IPS file

I received a .ips file from Apple today saying that one of my 12 Apps won’t work with Apple Vision with the message
“Your app crashed or froze at launch on Apple Vision Pro. We recommend testing your app in the visionOS simulator in Xcode to identify and address the issue.”

I was going to use Greg’s IOS Symbolicator but it doesn’t take .ips files so I tried this script from Github without success

https://gist.github.com/hecht1962/34e35e4917da2d10fb66e2c88d299b51
“perl /Users/martinfitzgibbons/Downloads/ipstocrash.pl /Users/martinfitzgibbons/Downloads/My+Hairstyle-2023-10-08-074116.ips >symbolicated.crash”

Anyone else dealt with this?

Here is the .ips file if that sheds any light

IPS Crash log

Have you tried changing the extension to .crash?

Scratch that. That only works for Xcode.

You can actually look at the file, specifically in the first set of “frames” (which would be the main thread) and see what the problem is by reading from the bottom up:

The relevant frames are:

-[XOJTimerAdapter timerFireMethod:]

followed by:

UnhandledException(RuntimeObject*)

Assuming you have a timer in your app, the code inside the action/run event is causing an exception and it is not being handled in App.UnhandledException.

Hi Greg,

I saw that in the end too and checked the Timer on the Opening screen but it wasn’t actually called so I thought there must be something else.

It said the App crashed on launch and there are no other timers on that screen??

This may be a timer internal to Xojo, e.g. to call an event later.

I have a few of those so I will check. The easier solution is just to make the App not available on the New App Store site as it probably isn’t that relevant.

1 Like

I deselected that option for my apps.
I’m sure all 5 owners of the Vision Pro will be distraught… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Correct :rofl: