how can i identificate a user from smartcard ??

hi, i must identificate an user by using his smartcard or badge.
it is possible from web edition ?

you need something to read the smartcard/badge on the laptop/desktop/tablet/phone then send that data to the website.

I am not going to say it is impossible but it will be challenging at best.

If the badge has a barcode on it, you might be able to use the file uploaded to have them take a picture of it, send it to your app and then “parse” the barcode.

no it is not possible, this must be an autentication …
i must read a code from smart card with smart card reader( this was linked to an existent user )then
proceed on application…
but not interact end user with wepapp before autenticaton …

Well, unless you’re going to install some sort of plugin on the user’s browser (or the user already has software on their computer to do that which could provide you with some sort of hash), you don’t really have full access to the users hardware.

the issue is not Xojo related but there has to be some application (or plugin in the browser) that is loaded on the users’ hardware that does the reading of the badge.

remember that web services are run inside the data center and the badge is not there, so there is a large air gap between the badge and the web server.

web applications run in the data center not on the end users’ hardware.

[quote=142610:@scott boss]the issue is not Xojo related but there has to be some application (or plugin in the browser) that is loaded on the users’ hardware that does the reading of the badge.

remember that web services are run inside the data center and the badge is not there, so there is a large air gap between the badge and the web server.

web applications run in the data center not on the end users’ hardware.[/quote]

He could use a desktop program installed on the user machine that would interface with the web app through Special folder…

@Michel Bujardet that is what I said.

On the newer physical security access control solutions usually there is a small gateway that has the physical copper wiring from the door components (Badge reader, PIR, crash bar, etc). This gateway is then usually ethernet to the network thus communicating with the server. These are very sophisticated systems and Scott is 100% correct.

in italy we have much system that use smart card reader for fidelity card, for access health care, to sign electronic docs.
in most cases users can use there cards to autenticate on his pcs and log on on windows in a domain network.
in other case use these card to autenticate to web pages of specifically services .
in this last case, browser can reads the certificate on smart card via smart card reader, and identifies user by card.
obvius, the pc has a smart card reader, there is a software layer to read certificates, but i don’t know how
webApp asks to browser to read smart card .
sorry for my bad english.

[quote=142666:@Jury Buono]there is a software layer to read certificates, but i don’t know how
webApp asks to browser to read smart card .[/quote]

Probably a browser plugin.

See
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15807038/architectures-to-access-smart-card-from-a-generic-browser-or-how-to-bridge-the

[quote=142491:@scott boss]you need something to read the smartcard/badge on the laptop/desktop/tablet/phone then send that data to the website.

I am not going to say it is impossible but it will be challenging at best.[/quote]
Well, maybe can use a smart card reader writer can achieve this goal, the user write his data to the reader, so others can read the data.