Help wanted: deploy web app on nginx server

Total noob here. First day trying to achieve something other than learning. I now have a small web app.

I can see xojo prefers us to use their cloud service to deploy a web app, and I would sure like a one-click deployment.
But fifty bucks a month it makes no sense at this time. I may never even release.

I purchased because I am sure I can produce a desktop application sooner or later.

But I would like to see just how hard deploying a web app to one of my dedicated nginx servers is.
In my case I would not have to worry much about security or performance, it is just proof of concept and flushing out the issues.

Sadly, I am not an nginx guru. And have never done the cgi thing.

#1 I am just wondering if there is a consultant out there who has the time to assist.
I would rather not bang my head too hard.

The docs ignore nginx entirely.
"deploying a web app is as simple as using your SFTP client of choice to copy the entire web app folder’s contents to the cgi-bin folder "

Ok. How do we find “the entire web app folder’s contents”?
When I export I get a single file. That ain’t it.
The build menu option is greyed out.
Deploy sends me to the xojo main page because I have not invested in a cloud account.

I dont even know how to generate the build “the entire web app folder”.
The docs for deploying to unix start with “upload your app…”

#2 How do I export/build/output whatever it is I need to transfer? (“the entire web app folder’s contents”)

What I see has no perl scripts etc.

Cheers

Did you purchase the Web version? the desktop version or the Pro Version?
you can only build a Web app with the Web or Pro versions

Next to his name is written Beta Tester, Xojo Pro
so he sure has a pro licence.

there are some video xojo webinars where they talk about implementing a web app into a synology nas
you should get inspiration from there for your own server that is not standard linux, or xojo cloud.

On Mac go to the Application menu/Licenses keys. On Windows I guess it is in the Help menu. Click Update. This will enable your copy with your Xojo Pro license, and you will then be able to build.

Search the forum for nginx. There are several threads about deploying for nginx.

Click the Build button to build your web app. Then go to the build folder and upload its files to wherever nginx needs CGI stuff.

You might find it easier to just deploy a standalone web app, which doesn’t need to rely on nginx (or anything else).

You change the Deployment Type for the web app in the Shared Build Settings.

Thank you for your replies. all good advice.
I hope the attached image clarifies.

https://postimg.org/image/lzwon8279/
Mac user, Pro license, key installed and up to date.
The build menu item is disabled.

You change the Deployment Type for the web app in the Shared Build Settings.

That might be it. But I am not finding the “shared build settings”.

there are some video xojo webinars …

Yes there are. I think it would take a month of 24/7 to watch them all. If you can remember where, thanks. Otherwise perhaps I will trip over them eventually.

Search the forum for nginx.

An ongoing endeavour, thanks. Still kind of overwhelmed. Working on my xojo.forum muscles.

How to get a build for deployment as cgi on dedicated Ubuntu server?
Why is build menu disabled? How to enable it?
Any consultants with experience in deployment to nginx/Ubuntu please feel free to contact me with offers.

Funny. I bought the license to get the build menu. I have 90 days to figure this out.
First few days gone but still no build menu.
Appreciate many speedy responses, thank you.

[quote=301300:@David MacLean]>>there are some video xojo webinars …

Yes there are. I think it would take a month of 24/7 to watch them all. If you can remember where, thanks. Otherwise perhaps I will trip over them eventually.[/quote]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EG0jOe4meY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g283Ei8tr3Y

[quote=301300:@David MacLean]Mac user, Pro license, key installed and up to date.
The build menu item is disabled. [/quote]
I’m not sure why this is, but if you contact product support, I’m sure they’ll help you get it figured out: productsupport@xojo.com

In the Navigator (left panel), scroll down until you see the “Build Settings” section. In there you will also see Shared. Click that to display the Inspector (on the right) with the build settings.

User Guide - Web App Structure

For a web app, he must uncheck Xojo Cloud and select Linux. Otherwise indeed build is greyed out.

I got that when Xojo decided to force Cloud as default building platform for Web, which IMHO is not a very good idea. It would be a lot more logical to not check anything by default.

Seems they are pretty determined that I should use xojo cloud alright !
If I uncheck xojo.cloud, I am still not allowed to edit “shared”.

There is a miniscule icon (blue dot with a black center) that may be telling me something in xojo-ese.

I gather I chose something wrong when I created the project. Surely there is a way to get back there?
I submitted a support request.

About those videos: one in spanish and the other a full hour long with no guarantee he’ll touch on deployment.
Nice to know, but no fast answers there.

Have you checked Linux ? It should suffice to enable Build.

BTW the minuscule blue thingy “shared” is important for the Inspector data on the right. Most important for a Linux app (or Mac) is the application identifier.

Each app must have a different identifier, otherwise there will be system conflict, and the second app will never launch.

Use a reverse URL such as
com.mycompany.mygr8app

That is also where you can select CGI or standalone deployment.

Bingo and face palm. Thank you so much! Checked Linux.

Now I have an output build folder that looks deployable.

I am still unable to find my back to the Build Settings dialog as shown at http://developer.xojo.com/userguide/web-apps

So the blue thing is important. I still don’t understand why or what it means. I trust I will get there in time, it is still so very early for me. Unique names and reverse urls thank you.

Shared build settings are important.

Now you want to go into Linux, and look on the right. Chances are it is 32 bit. Most servers today are 64 bit. So change it to 64 bit and build again.

Then take all the files and upload them to your cgi-bin folder.

Pointing to the cgi file should start the app.

Got it. Very good. Thank you.