Help for basic web design

So I was using visual basic back in the day and now I discovered this.

I am not a programmer, I just want to make a website mockup to show to a guy I may be hiring for designing my webpage so that he can see what I expect the website to do/look like (in terms of functionality) so that he can give me a quote on the price and a rough deadline, but I find it harder than I thought it to be mainly because (at least while googling for like 30 minutes) I couldnt find resources to answer my question, please have the kindess to answer one or more of the following questions. thank you.

1. How do I add subpages to my website? (E.g I want to have a “home” button and a “FAQ” button and want to click on “FAQ” and show an other subpage and when I click on “home” to show the index page)

2. How do I link buttons (if pressed) with subpages? Also how do I link them with external links?

3. How do I label popup menus? (so that they are not empty but have a label e.g “countries” and then if a user clicks on the countries to see have the options popup e.g Greece, Germany etc ← I know how to do the latter I dont know how to label the button, I dont want it to be a country in this scenario I guess I could just add “Countries” and in inspector set that to be visible but I dont want the option “countries” to be visible once the other options pop up when user clicks the popup menu so essentially is there a way to lable the “-1” entry?

4. how to make the options in the pop menu do stuff? like link to an other page e.g in the above example when clicking the popup menu and click on a country to link to the wikipedia page of that country.

5. How to resize buttons (I seem to be able only to shrink them or to make them a little bit longer depending on how long the label is, but I want to mke a huge button without the label being huge)

6. How to make a dialogue window (or any similar window e.g a msgbox) appear when the website loads in the browser?

7. how to choose where the dialogue box appears? in the screen?

8. how to make a button in that dialogue window (or msgbox etc) to a) kill the window b) kill the window AND pop up a new dialogue window (or msgbox etc )

9. how to add text boxes and how to trigger them to be visible or invisible? (mainly need that to add a button that makes them visible or not visible e.g a language button that makes all the text boxes I name English visible and makes all the text boxes I name e.g Italian as not visible)

10. How to make buttons to pop up dialogue windows (or msgboxes etc) ?

P.S I find the inspection bar very frugile compared to good ol visual basic I mean half of this stuff I ask (e.g visibility, size, appearance (e.g loading an image to be like the texture of the button) etc were in menu for visual basic for each element (e.g text box, button etc) hope you could make xojo be more like visual basic in that regard thanks.

Welcome!

Have you looked at the Web Getting Started PDF in the Documentation folder? That’d be a good place to start.

3 Likes

Thanks but where is that? googling “Xojo web getting started PDF” doesnt pop up anything useful, but like the 4th result leads to an external website that has such a pdf save do you mean this one? https://dev.rbcafe.com/xojo/xojo%202015R41/Xojo%20Documentation.pdf

Also that explains a lot why many of my google searches did not have the desired effect if that stuff is on a PDF it wont show in google :frowning:

Like even searching for tutorials on youtube was not useful, there was 1 girl that showed how to add a button and code for a searchbar (Which is nice an all but I could figure out how to add buttons in like seconds and code for searching is very specific and probably already known by a programmer or googlable by a noob like me) showing how to work with the rest of the library elements would be a much pleasant and useful tutorial.

Please take that as a feedback thanks.

Ok that other link I asked for turns out to be a 1000+ page manual, but I think I found the PDF you meant for me to look at Xojo Web Application Tutorial | PDF | Web Application | Keyboard Shortcut (scribd.com)
It was the 5th result to where someone at scribd has saved it

This one is a few pages long but like answers 0 of my questions and basically consist of more elementary stuff e.g “how to add a button” which is like self explanatory, how to resize a button or change is texture though is not that easy and is missing. So I consider this topic not as answered and hope for somebody else to chip in.

Thank you though for trying to help me

I think Greg is talking about this Documentation Folder:

Thank you wasnt aware that this documentation exists within the xojo directory but again both the “quick start web” and the “tutorialweb” pdfs answer 0 of my questions.

They nice an all but very narrow in scope and very elementary like the stuff in there was figured out by me (a non programmer who ok isnt a PC noob but rather a poweruser but still no programmer last time I used an IDE was 12+ years back with visual basic) in a matter of seconds.

like at this point (if noone cares to help me out within a week or so) I gather it would be much easier to just install visual basic on a VM and do the thing or like try to find my old ms office suite that had that webpage builder app in it
 (cant remember the name I think its on the XP pro version)

And I find this a shame to be honnest I mean (at least that’s my humble opinion) Xojo wouldnt probably cater that much to experienced programmers they already have their ways to do stuff it should (mho) cater to newbies and children that want to create apps and stuff in a easier visual basic 6 kind of way.

Xojo is not a WebPage editor, learning a programming tool just to make a mockup is a bad idea. To have pages buttons and some interaction, you are better with PowerPoint and a little of VBA or someething similar.

2 Likes

Hi, if you want to do a click prototype: my daughter does it with Adobe XD. With this tool you can also generate design specs and tasks, which are then be the base for coding .

Sometimes its also enough to think on paper 1st.

If you know what u want, start coding with XOJO maybe with a framework .

HTH Rainer

I would suggest lookig at webcontainers.

Hi, as usual there are many ways to do it. But at the end is the hosting question.
Remember MS Frontpage : cool thing, but a lot of admin refuse to install it on servers. Or sometimes it need a ms platform to run it.

BTW : a lot of hosters offer a home page construction kit, with 0 installation. Sometimes fits, sometimes not.

Another thing; Webdesign: html5, mobile, serverdriven ,
 a lot of possibilities, but also a question of money and time.

And don’t forget the security topic and European Accessibility Act

BR Rainer

Ok after 2 hours I figured out most of my question (and to be honest most of them need like less of a line of text to be answered)

The only thing I did not figure out is how to label the popup menu (or if you like/makes sense how to lable the -1 entry of the popup menou)

but I also have a new question now.

I have inserted a timer, and on a run handler used this code

dim countdowntime as integer

countdowntime = val(TextField1.text)
countdowntime = max(0, countdowntime - 1)
TextField1.text = str(countdowntime, "0")

if val(TextField1.text) = 0 then timer1.Enabled = False

if val(TextField1.text) = 0 then HTMLViewer1.LoadURL("https://www.youtube.com/embed/" + "R8lHaEZYpCU" + "?&start=45&autoplay=1")

The issue is that the youtube video loads but needs me manually to click on play despite setting a flag for autoplay.

What I suspect is that it has something to do with the timer any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, but I need more control than to just add a walpaper and textures to buttons. xojo is an ideal tool for making an interactive mokup (so basically creating a roughly done front end and let the programmer you want to hire to figure the back end stuff, the standard compliance and the safety precautions + traffic handling/performance/efficiency etc.

1 Like

The easy way is using the “Help” menu.

1 Like

Thank you but I am retarded can you help me out on this?

It doesnt autoplay the video I think it has something to do with the timer (want to play a video when the coundown goes to 0 which it does go to 0 and the video loads but doesnt autoplay)

Was talking to Alberto.

And no, not feeling in the mood to help you right now.

So you are on the way to xojo 

Maybe its worth to have a look at

BR Rainer

There is no option to add a Hint (text in the -1 entry), the code is sent to the browser but just empty. I may create a feature request to add this. In the meantime someone with JavaScript knowledge may post some code to add the Hint to the empty ‘Span’ code. I think it is a nice feature to have. Maybe @Anthony_G_Cyphers can help?
Empty Span
With ‘Hint’ Countries

In action just as you want it:
WebpopupHint.2021-08-26 07_43_00

I remember some time ago that the Browsers got an update to not auto-play most videos. I’m sure that there are workarounds but I don’t have one. I hope someone can point you to one.

Add this method to a module:

Public Sub Placeholder(extends menu as WebPopupMenu, assigns value as String)
  ' Make sure that the SelectedRowIndex is -1 so we don't overwrite a real value.
  if menu.SelectedRowIndex = -1 then

' The next two lines are just to properly escape the string.
    var j as new JSONItem
    j.Value( "placeholder" ) = value

' Build the JavaScript string to send to the browser.
    var exec() as String
    exec.Add( "var newValue = " + j.ToString + ";" ) ' Assign our JSONItem to a JavaScript object.
    exec.Add( "$('#" + menu.ControlID + " span').html(newValue.placeholder);" ) ' Set the value of the span.

' Send it off
    menu.ExecuteJavaScript( String.FromArray( exec, "" ) )
  end if

End Sub

Then I put this in PopupMenu1.Shown

me.Placeholder = "(No Selection)"
1 Like

I get this:

instead of:
(No Selection)
Greece
Germany

Public Sub Placeholder(extends menu as WebPopupMenu, assigns value as String)
  ' Make sure that the SelectedRowIndex is -1 so we don't overwrite a real value.
  if menu.SelectedRowIndex = -1 then

' The next two lines are just to properly escape the string.
    var j as new JSONItem
    j.Value( "placeholder" ) = value

' Build the JavaScript string to send to the browser.
    var exec() as String
    exec.Add( "var newValue = " + j.ToString + ";" ) ' Assign our JSONItem to a JavaScript object.
    exec.Add( "$('#" + menu.ControlID + " span').first().html(newValue.placeholder);" ) ' Set the value of the span.

' Send it off
    menu.ExecuteJavaScript( String.FromArray( exec, "" ) )
  end if

End Sub
1 Like