Header Buttons in Windows 10

10166 ? You should get 10240 (the final build) through Windows Update.

The above video is not a build, it’s Xojo. Yesterday’s download. It’s the exact same issue with anything built with Xojo. If I build with anything else I don’t have the issue. ( VS, CodeLite )

Your video didn’t give an indication as to which Xojo version you were using…

Here’s what I see in a brand new Windows 10 Pro 64 bit install with the default download of Xojo 2015r2.2:

Xojo 2015r2.2 on Windows 10 64bit

Like the others here, I do not see any flickering with the close button on Windows 10. It appears as a red box with an X in the middle just like my other Windows apps.

Windows 10 Pro x64 running in VMware Fusion 6.0.6.

What’s a little interesting is yours has a bit of a delay/fad that mine doesn’t have. At 7 seconds your button seems to fad out where as with my (non-xojo apps) it just goes transparent. BUT that said I tried numerous times and if I’m really fast I can keep the box red even if I’m somewhere else. meaning I’m typing here, the mouse is here as well however I the close box is still red. Bug from MS I’m guessing.

Seems that the program needs to be in Max to get this trick to work.

I see the flickering too. It happens with any Xojo compiled app (so also with Xojo).
If you hoover over the X close rectangle the red flickers instead of fading in/out smoothly.

I am running the release version of Windows 10 with Bootcamp on my iMac 5K

I already got a mail from one of our customers who also sees this. Of course he things our apps is not Windows 10 compatible. Figures :confused:

Could not find a feedback case so I added one:

<https://xojo.com/issue/40303>

[quote=204437:@Christoph De Vocht]I already got a mail from one of our customers who also sees this. Of course he things our apps is not Windows 10 compatible. Figures :confused:

Could not find a feedback case so I added one:

<https://xojo.com/issue/40303>[/quote]

All this is fine and well, but if there is no way to reliably reproduce the issue, the bug report will end up closed ‘non reproducible’. So far, only you and Jym have observed it. Would it not be useful to cross reference what your systems have in common so a remedy can be found ? In your case, the system is not the iMac, but the VM specifications : graphic card, memory, processor…

The fact that you observe the issue in a VM can make it reproducible, though. Knowing the VM software (Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox), as well as the exact settings used for the VM and the Windows 10 version (32 or 64 bit, Pro or not, etc.) could enable Xojo engineers to see the phenomenon for themselves much easier.

A quick search on the Internet shows a similar issue going back as far as Vista. Note it happened with other apps than RB :wink:

Most similar, under Windows 7 :
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/abc31269-8d94-4589-992b-dc8225fbd333/flashing-close-button?forum=w7itproui

No real solution or reason was apparently found.

I could not find any mention of the issue in the Windows 10 Insider forums.

I see it as well, Build 10240, in a VM in Parallels 9 on a MBP Retina. But I also see it on one of our older legacy products which is built with VB6 and that program has absolutely nothing to do with Xojo. So maybe this is a Win32 issue?

Possibly related, I reported a flickering issue a while back where the first column header of a ListBox flickers as you move the mouse in and out of any of the headers. Only the first header flickers. Other than Jason P, no one at Xojo was able to duplicate it. After a lot of fooling around, I determined it had something to do with the theme I was using. I could switch to an Aero Themes (running Windows 7) and it would stop.

Can anyone do this?
Open Google Chrome and Maximize it
Put the Mouse over the Close button till the button turns red
Slip out the right side of the button and bring the mouse into the center of the screen. The button stays red for me. I’m guessing Mouse Actions and refreshes are working rather poorly.

Same here, Chrome does that as well.

I’m not seeing the symptoms, but I wrote a tiny app which hooks into WndProc and logs the messages - perhaps those who are seeing the problems can use the app to see what’s going wrong?

<https://xojo.com/issue/40303>

I am not running Windows 10 in a VM.
I see the issue with my iMac 5K (with bootcamp) and my daughter Asus laptop (current model bought in februari 2015).
The user who complaint is running a custom PC with AMD cpu and AMD graphics. If Xojo Inc needs the full correct spec of that user, I can ask him.

[quote=204529:@Michael Diehr]I’m not seeing the symptoms, but I wrote a tiny app which hooks into WndProc and logs the messages - perhaps those who are seeing the problems can use the app to see what’s going wrong?

<https://xojo.com/issue/40303>[/quote]

I did what you asked and have a log file, but it means nothing to me. I ran the mouse around the window for 10 seconds then ran it around the button for 10 seconds.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that the Help Tags rarely fit properly. For example if I hover over the Minimize button the word Minimize is showing the top half of Minim only but other times it works fine. Only Xojo and builds do this, the other software on my computer(s) don’t have that issue.

[quote=204543:@Christoph De Vocht]I am not running Windows 10 in a VM.
I see the issue with my iMac 5K (with bootcamp) and my daughter Asus laptop (current model bought in februari 2015).
The user who complaint is running a custom PC with AMD cpu and AMD graphics. If Xojo Inc needs the full correct spec of that user, I can ask him.[/quote]

Sorry, I confused with Merv Pate.

At this point, we have three people who observe the phenomenon : Jym, you, and Merv. There seem to be no common denominator in the machines involved, especially your last description.

Given the fact that both for Jym and you, the flashing close box happens on several machines, it looks very much as you all three got a version of Windows 10 that creates the issue rather that it to be a hardware problem.

The final proof would be for one of those who could not reproduce the issue to get a copy of the particular Windows 10 either of you have installed and try that out. If it happens, then you got the culprit.

I did let WIndows 8.1 auto update to Windows 10 for both the iMac 5K and Asus laptop (with the Get Ready for Windows 10 app).

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 as well but do not see the issue. It has to be the version of Windows.

MS Store upgraded my 8.1 to 10 for me.

But, it is the same version you installed on your 4 computers, right ?

Just guessing myself here, but I think we’d want to see some difference in the sequence of events (messages) between a PC that shows the bug and one that doesn’t. E.g. if one is getting tons of “refresh the window” messages, that could represent a problem.

I know just enough Win32 API stuff to be dangerous.