Have linux improvements been dropped?

I and others have been pointing out for a very long time that the IDE on Linux is slow and sluggish. It’s just not possible to work efficiently this way. Big lacks and other weird problems. I love RS/Xojo, but will there ever be fixes to these problems, or can anyone recommend the best alternative to create applications on Linux/Debian?

If you want to create on Linux, for linux: Gambas is your best shot :slight_smile:

To be quite frank Linux has a VERY tiny percentage of all of our users - about 1% last time I looked
Prioritizing fixes specifically for Linux, like anything else, gets prioritized based on the severity, number of users its going to impact etc.
And with such a low percentage of total users that tends to rank low.

FYI - This is based on bug reports & feature requests that we get from feedback (we don’t have any other metrics to go by)
The IDE itself doesn’t report what OS you are using it on but that might be more accurate

So one thing you CAN do is make sure you have reporting system stats on when you file any bug reports / feature requests using feedback

I don’t think GAMBAS as a professional solution. There are better options, but not based in BASIC. Publicly discussing about development environments other than XOJO are not welcome if I correctly remember the forum rules, so I’ll avoid going deeper in this subject. Do some research people. :wink:

Thanks. guys.

I’m not trying or wishing to promote other DEs, and I will still use my licensed version of RS/Xojo, but I need to work and reverting back to MicroSuck will not even solve my issue with cross platform development.

I’ll admit that I tend to work on OS X most of the time then run in Windows or Linux to tweak things
Mostly because I can run all three at the same time on my MBP - one per screen

Well, if you join the beta program, you could check if next version brings improvements.
Else you could at least create a feedback case and describe problems you have, like with a screen recording.

As the IDE is created with Xojo will the change to LLVM improve its performance?

I’ve just had to buy a new PC because the Xojo IDE incessantly crashes on my XP PC and is agonisingly slow on my Ubuntu PC.

How about plugins? The ODBC plugin, for example, seems to get bigger and slower with every iteration, will the change to LLVM impact those?

Quit using XP :stuck_out_tongue:
Its much nicer under Vista or newer

Just incase you missed this notice about using the Xojo IDE on Windows XP:

[quote=68675:shao sean]Just incase you missed this notice about using the Xojo IDE on Windows XP:[/quote]The issue described in that advisory isn’t what I’m encountering, the IDE often crashes when a node in the tree in the left pane is expanded. Less frequently it crashes when I try to run a project.

My Ubuntu PC meets the minimum system specs stated on Xojo’s website but in reality the Xojo IDE is unusable on it. As the Xojo IDE is created with Xojo it doesn’t inspire confidence in using Xojo for creating programs targeting Ubuntu.

i have a very large project created in Xojo and now when I compile it with the latest version it will run fine on some XP PCs, on others it crashes the moment it’s launched. I have no idea what the difference is between the XP machines that makes this happen.

[quote=68616:Norman Palardy]Quit using XP :stuck_out_tongue:
Its much nicer under Vista or newer[/quote]Vista was one of the factors that drove me to Ubuntu.

My new PC came with Windows 8.1 preinstalled, I lasted less than 24 hours before paying for a ‘downgrade’ to Windows 7.

The difference in XP machines is probably the service pack. 2013r4.1 requires SP3 on XP.

Unfortunately it’s not something as obvious as that, they all have SP3.

Well, there are many reasons why the IDE may not be stable on your installation of Ubuntu, but I have been having some pretty good results with my application on Linux Mint maya (mind you this is a compiled app, not the IDE, I’m Mac OS X 100% of the way)…

The comment Norman makes about not assigning resources to the Linux IDE due to the few users is kind of disheartening… I realize that I am not writing an IDE, but I personally take the time to do testing on all three platforms with every build to ensure that the features I am adding/fixing work on all three platforms (can’t expect testers to find everything :wink: )… As per his suggestion though, I do submit issues as I find them and generally have steps to a reproduce the issues…

Based on what we know about where people are using the IDE somewhere around 1% of our users are running Linux

That leaves 99% running windows and OS X with OS X slightly higher

Assigning 30% of our resources to Linux makes no sense
We do test on all platforms though - all the engineers have numerous Linux Vm’s and I know that Our testers do as well

Maybe if it was usable on Linux more Linux users would use it. I’ve tried it on Ubuntu and Mint and the results for me were not very good. I was waiting for the next release hoping for improvements, but that sounds like a waste.

[quote=68747:@Norman Palardy]Based on what we know about where people are using the IDE somewhere around 1% of our users are running Linux

That leaves 99% running windows and OS X with OS X slightly higher

Assigning 30% of our resources to Linux makes no sense
We do test on all platforms though - all the engineers have numerous Linux Vm’s and I know that Our testers do as well[/quote]

Given all that one has to wonder why there is linux support at all … I would think incompete/buggy support hurts Xojo’s reputaion more than not supporting it all would.

Was the plans for a WE a driving force for adding Linux support as many serves run some flavor of Linux?

We had a Linux IDE long before the web framework came about. That said, the web framework has absolutely been a driving force for getting some things implemented and fixed.

I like linux but the Xojo is no ready

I like to move my mac and win project to linux

The reporting engine came out in 2009. I’ve seen very few improvements in it. It seems very few people use it, so does that mean that we can expect few if any improvements in the future?

When I first purchased RS in 2009, because there was finally built in reporting, I assumed there would be improvements in it. Yet years later it is barely usable.

To hear this about Linux… this is all very discouraging.