Hard times are back

I use a folder to store a copy of previousprojects (using the last modification date in the file name to differenciate the projects).

I made a copy of the current project each time I think I’ve made a major step in the development, so I am (more or less) sure that I will not make major error(s) / i can go back to a previous “safe” project.

Yesterday (just like I live this so many times in the past years), a major bug comes: the print (a Listbox contents in colors) feature started to work strangely: the page bottom “header” is no more drawn at its fixed location and there are printed rows below it. I put the blame on the Epson Printer Update (3.3 ?) I’ve made recently.
Worst: running in the IDE produced one Row in each page (with headers and footers) !

Today, I started to see other weird stuff like a MenuItem command that worked fine since I changed the Modifier Key from Option / alt to Shift was reverting to its previous BAD state: a click in Column(0) stopped to work while clicks in all other Columns react as intended.

What will tomorrow be done? What bugs will they appear? I do not know.

What seems even stranger is that apparently, I am the only one touched.

MacBook Pro 2015-12,
El Capitan (with the latest updates),
Xojo 2015r1 (registered).

Are things as strange as what I wrote earlier comes to you ?

Do you know if this is the “work” of some virus ?

Any idea to squash this kind of things, except to put Xojo in the trash ?
(or stop using internet ?)

You should NOT be doing it this way. Spend a few hours and learn how to use a modern source control system like Git.

As for your other questions: I have not had any problems like what you describe at all.

But seriously, use source control.

All wonderful things!

Do you have Time Machine running?

Here here
Manually doing “version control” like this is just painful

Hear hear?

[quote=342537:@Kimball Larsen]You should NOT be doing it this way. Spend a few hours and learn how to use a modern source control system like Git.

As for your other questions: I have not had any problems like what you describe at all.

But seriously, use source control.[/quote]

What about us Xojo users who have the ‘Xojo with training wheels’ versions that only save projects in binary format? What are we to do?

-Wes

That’s how I did “version control” when programming with FileMaker because FM projects can only be saved as binary files. But with Xojo, you can save a project as a group of text files. As long as you do that (as opposed to saving your Xojo project as a single binary file), you can use real version control like SVN or Git or Mercurial.

There’s a nice GUI frontend you can use that lets you use either Git or Mercurial. It’s called SourceTree, found at sourcetreeapp.com. I use that with Mercurial, which I find more intuitive than Git, and have never looked back. The beauty of using real version control like this is you can incrementally move your project back in time to where things were working okay. With SourceTree, you can see what you did, step by step in a series of “commits”, and choose where you want to be. It shows you what’s different at each commit.

Running Xojo under version control, I save and commit my work often, knowing I can always trash the last commit, or series of commits, and get back to where things were working as expected. I can even create “branches” where I can try different ideas and see where they go, and trash a branch when it doesn’t work out, or adopt it when they do, merging that branch into the mail trunk.

So check out real version control.

[quote=342594:@Wes Westhaver]What about us Xojo users who have the ‘Xojo with training wheels’ versions that only save projects in binary format? What are we to do?
[/quote]
EVEN when using binary projects version control can help - some.
It cant do all the really cool things BUT it can go back & forward in time without having to save thousands of different versions on you drive
You save, commit, and IF you find you need to go back to an older version you can very easily

I’m fairly new to Xojo and I was under the impression that binary format was all that was available to me at my license level (Raspberry Pi desktop and console apps only)

What do I have to do to save my code as text???

-Wes

Or run an airport timecapsule with time backups, or a synology with block level multi-version backup.

Wes, go File-Save As then look at the bottom middle of the window:

Wes,

You would pick “Xojo Project” in that Format drop down menu.

Great until they start trimming out old versions
And then of course you’ll need one
And they may NOT be granular enough if they are only hourlies for one day and then trimmed to dailies fairly rapidly (after 24 hours)

SVN Git etc all handle binary files - just not as nicely or cleverly as they can textual ones where you can get really nice diffs

IF his license permits that format that would be available
If not it won’t
Not all licenses include this

@William: yes, saving to a different format must be possible.

I’ve been pondering about changing from binary + external classes to text format. But as long as <https://xojo.com/issue/3624> hasn’t been implemented text format is too complicated for me.

On the topic of version control … which clients are you using and is someone using a Synology NAS for local version control?

I started using SourceTree/BitBucket last November, after accidentally deleting my good working copy while cleaning up. I would never go back. It is easily worth the money to upgrade your Xojo license for that reason alone.

Now I can sleep at night knowing if there is a problem I can find out exactly when it show up and what was changed in recent commits.

It really is the greatest thing since Xojo! :wink:

That gives you both source control & an offsite backup - both of which are worth it by themselves

I do most of my coding on Windows, so I use TortoiseHg. They have a Mac client, but its a little clunkier in my opinion, the Windows version works very well. I do the version control locally and my backup service keeps all the files backed up to the cloud. Many, many different solutions in this space that will do what you need, but get away from the manual backups, version control is SO much easier and just works better,