GraffitiSuite Web Edition

I still am, and as a tinkerer myself foraying often in unchartered territory, I know all too well the gremlins that haunt the Xojo forests :wink: Or even been reminded by Greg how hacking the DOM can be bad (yes, I know now)

My point is more about the web site he has. The attention span of any web visitor is 2 seconds. Any JavaScript error will make him click out before you have the time to say “oops”.

I appreciate the developer’s efforts and admire his skills. Just commenting that errors are not engaging. I am very demanding from myself, especially when I sell software. Knowing that a guy makes efforts does not mean he should never have to take some friendly criticism from fellow developers.

Your coming to the rescue for Anthony is very commendable, but unnecessary : I wish him no harm.

I am glad we are all “singing from the same hymn sheet” so to speak, I just know from emails I have had from Anthony how overloaded and frustrated he is at not being able to delivery a solution to the issues quicker but from what I understand it is requiring a total rewrite and fundamental change to how everything works today and going forward with Xojos new framework stuff. I can honestly say that from first hand experience he really does try and get things sorted especially when they are stopping developers from doing what they need.

Regarding the his website, yes it does have issues and I understand what you are saying. It is always that difficult balance of making sure your own stuff is ok when clients are screaming at you for solutions - life as a professional developer I guess :wink:

Hi guys. I was just made aware of this post, so I’d be happy to answer any questions.

The errors in the online demo are exactly what you would see when using the product in your own apps. Does it look good? No, but I don’t update that demo unless a new release is pushed out, therefore it is always a snapshot of the current state. I don’t want anyone to buy GraffitiSuite if it can’t do what they need.

The next update addresses the error with jQuery in the accordion, but I’m not sure about the other issue you guys are talking about where you can only see the logo and the listbox, unless you’re not clicking the “View Demos” button.

The need to “hack with the product” is only between releases. If you report a bug with Web Edition, it will be fixed for the next release if at all possible. Historically, releases have happened quickly when there was a show-stopping bug unless it was something major that required a lot of work. Case in point being at the first of the year when I started seeing jQuery load issues due to the sequence of loading libraries. In the end, to make it all work, I had to move all of the javascript out of that project’s classes and in to external files and work up the code to serve those to the user, then keep track of whether the element had been shown yet. I tried many different avenues to quickly fix the problem, but there just wasn’t one. I had to fundamentally change every class in GraffitiSuite, and it took nearly two months to complete (I also have contract work). During that time, however, the jQuery workaround mentioned above by Nathan addressed the issue, so the classes were still workable without hacking, it’s simply placing that snippet in to the App.HTMLHeader property.

I am preparing the next release, and hope that it is better able to suit your needs. I’m sorry I wasn’t quicker in getting in to this conversation, but I was a bit put off by these forums years ago when constructive criticism was more rare than it currently seems to be, and it was better to not chime in and let the topics run their course and die off.

If you have any questions, you can always get in touch with me via the GraffitiSuite site or twitter (@graffitisuite). I’m now also subscribed to this topic, and will be participating when I can.

Hey Anthony, it will also address the editor issue as well right??

Hi Anthony. What about auto trigger the display of the demos after loading without the need to discover and press the “view demos” button? I believe it would make a better impression.

The ability to set text programmatically during runtime for GraffitiSuiteWebEditor has been fixed for the next version, and the demo now includes an example.

Hi, Rick. That’s a change I could certainly make. Sometimes I let the desire for nice, clean displays get in the way of functionality.

Implemented.

Or you could present a <Press the “View Demos” to start> for an instant, in the middle of that large blank area that people expect to see something appearing after the load of the page is complete.

I was actually just thinking this. I’ll design a new background for the app that draws attention to the button. Good call, Rick.

:wink:

Just wanted to leave a note to say that all of the issues and suggestions in this thread have been fixed/implemented for the next release, including localization of GraffitiWebDatePicker.

Congratulations !

That is service :slight_smile:

I’m going to go ahead and share the ChangeLog for changes and fixes in the next release here for your perusal.

[quote][NEW] GraffitiWebGrid now tracks what rows are currently being displayed in the Viewport via RenderedRowTop and RenderedRowBottom.
[NEW] GraffitiWebAccordion now exposes the ToggleItem method for expanding and collapsing containers.
[NEW] GraffitiWebDatePicker now supports language customization using the GraffitiWebDatePickerLocale class.
[FIX] GraffitiWebToggle no longer throws Exceptions on jQuery related code to control visibility options.
[FIX] GraffitiWebTabPanel Should no longer improperly display a scrollbar under certain circumstances.
[FIX] GraffitiWebGrid should now resize properly in all instances.
[FIX] GraffitiWebAccordion should no longer throw assertions when adding an item before jQuery has loaded.
[FIX] GraffitiWebAccordion no longer includes a broad CSS rule that hides all INPUT elements within the accordion’s containers.
[FIX] GraffitiWebAccordion now properly honors the Expanded property when constructing the interface.
[FIX] GraffitiWebEditor updated to jqte 1.4.0
[FIX] GraffitiWebEditor now properly sets text when the Text property value is changed.
[FIX] GraffitiWebDatePicker should no longer throw an OutOfBoundsException in the ExecuteEvent() event under certain circumstances.
[FIX] GraffitiWebToggle now exposes a Shown() event.
[FIX] GraffitiWebToggle should no longer throw occasional assertions regarding jQuery.
[FIX] GraffitiWebDatePicker once again properly sets the Value() property when a new date is selected in Single mode.
[CHANGE] Demo now uses an animated arrow to draw attention to the View Demos button.[/quote]

I’ve been gone for a couple of days, but I’m glad we started this thread. Great news.

I’ve bought his web plugins yesterday and have to admit, that Anthony is doing a great job and a great service. Emails are answered very quickly and I am looking forward for the next release!

When will the new release be available? Are you possibly going to add some of the validators I suggested via email?

Great job. Looking forward to this.

[quote=117837:@Frank Russ]When will the new release be available? Are you possibly going to add some of the validators I suggested via email?

Great job. Looking forward to this.[/quote]
The new release should be out in a few days (if not sooner). Unfortunately, if I started on a new class now, it likely wouldn’t be ready in time. I’ll evaluate a few options and determine if it can be done, but that would likely come in a future release.

I don’t normally talk about what’s coming in terms of new classes, in such specifics, but I have been working on a class that will mask any WebTextField with a customizable alphanumeric mask and CueText for the next release. I am still testing and working on it, so it may be pulled, but it is looking good so far.

Just a note to say that the Release 17 has been pushed out. Check out the ChangeLog, if you are interested, here:
http://www.graffitisuite.com/support/changelog/2014-releases/